RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #701
PurgatorY
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
New Edge

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Running a few prototypes of an Edge on the CNC out of blue foam on the vacuums table. Right now playing with the wingspan and aileron size to increase the roll rate. Flyís more like a larger plane and you can make very nice aileron turns without rudder input. With the larger span so far and the low rates on even beginners are enjoying flying around in high alpha. The re-enforced nose takes a lot more abuse than just straight foam. The whole thing is interlocking so you cannot get it wrong or out of alignment. Even the servo locations are milled.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2233.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	72146   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2234.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	72147  
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #702
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 5
Re: Blue Foamie

Hi Dennis
That looks awesome, I just finished building my own cnc, I built it to mill and reduce the weight of the blue foamies. Is this your own cnc and is it homebuilt, hard to tell from the video. I brought the AUW down to 5 oz on a YAK 55 and what a difference in handling, it was like night and day. Thanks Dennis, can you post more pics of your cnc and your foamies. The YAK shown in this pic was milled by hand a while ago but it's the same idea with the cnc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yak 55 milled 2.1 002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	72170  

Last edited by gbjets; 03-11-2010 at 06:19 AM.
gbjets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #703
tech8
RCC Contributor

I am: Andrew

Total Props: 3

Hey Gaston! You guys are going hi-tech with the cnc stuff! I thought I would share my latest "BF" Yak. I increased all dimensions by 10% of the original FF Yak. I am using the same Hobby King motors and servos you guys are using. So far I have only flown it outdoors with 2S 500mah, using a 9x5 GWS prop. I find that flies incredibly stable and makes 3d manouvers a little slower and less erratic. I bet you could easly scale up the dimensions on the CNC mill! Heres a picture for comparison of the size vs the original. Weight = 7 oz with a 2s 500mah. My originial size BF Yak comes in at 6oz with the same battery.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0134[1].jpg
Views:	54
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	72538  

Last edited by tech8; 03-15-2010 at 11:42 PM.
tech8 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #704
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech8 View Post
Hey Gaston! You guys are going hi-tech with the cnc stuff! I thought I would share my latest "BF" Yak. I increased all dimensions by 10% of the original FF Yak. I am using the same Hobby King motors and servos you guys are using. So far I have only flown it outdoors with 2S 500mah, using a 9x5 GWS prop. I find that flies incredibly stable and makes 3d manouvers a little slower and less erratic. I bet you could easly scale up the dimensions on the CNC mill! Heres a picture for comparison of the size vs the original. Weight = 7 oz with a 2s 500mah. My originial size BF Yak comes in at 6oz with the same battery.

Cheers!
Hi Andrew

Slower 3D, that would help the old guys like me, something to consider, thanks for the tip. Where's our friend Andrew C. you guys should come to our Swap meet/indoor flying April 25 it would be nice to get together again. How come that plane still looks like new, probably bacause you haven't flown with all those nuts at our gym, except me, naturally.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #705
PurgatorY
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbjets View Post
Hi Dennis
That looks awesome, I just finished building my own cnc, I built it to mill and reduce the weight of the blue foamies. Is this your own cnc and is it homebuilt, hard to tell from the video. I brought the AUW down to 5 oz on a YAK 55 and what a difference in handling, it was like night and day. Thanks Dennis, can you post more pics of your cnc and your foamies. The YAK shown in this pic was milled by hand a while ago but it's the same idea with the cnc.
Gaston I must have missed your answer thanks for sending me a pm. Yes I am busier than a one legged man at an ass kicking contest. To answer your question about the mill itís the same Bridgeport style mill only I made an aluminum adaptor plate that clamps to the spindle of the mill and holds a Boche Palm Router. Then without turning on the spindle I use the table and head to move the router bit across the work. I have not tried milling out any of the foam to lighten it as most of our guys are still in the banging heads stages. I suppose once they are looking for a greater challenge I can try milling out the foam.

Dennis
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #706
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Dennis

Thanks for the reply, that's a pretty advanced milling machine you're using. I'm still working on little problems with the software and the leadscrew for the x drive which I'm replacing with a timing belt system, it will be much faster and without vibrations. As long as I'm ready for next fall, I'll be happy.
I'll keep you posted on the project. Your interlocking of the components looks pretty good and solid. I like your comment on how busy you are, never been on one of those contests.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #707
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
........I am busier than a one legged man at an ass kicking contest. ......
Dennis, is that even busier than a cat covering ---- on a marble floor..... and walking half a mile to find sand?

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #708
corster360
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Corey B

Total Props: 0

hey gaston i have been making the foami that i was talking about, the delta design i am aim ing towards the stealth look and it seems to be going good know i was wondering if someone could help me out with this is i want to put the prop in the body and i am not sure what size prop i should use because i want speed but i also dont want the prop to hit the ground, and is there a type of engine where when the throtle cuts it goes horizontal maybe some one could help me out with this
corster360 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #709
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corster360 View Post
hey gaston i have been making the foami that i was talking about, the delta design i am aim ing towards the stealth look and it seems to be going good know i was wondering if someone could help me out with this is i want to put the prop in the body and i am not sure what size prop i should use because i want speed but i also dont want the prop to hit the ground, and is there a type of engine where when the throtle cuts it goes horizontal maybe some one could help me out with this
Hi
You have to give more information or pics , it's hard to figure out otherwise. It depends on the motor, the battery, the esc, the weight of the plane...etc, if you're using the same equipment, we're using with the foamies like the Yak 55 then if you want a smaller diameter prop, you'll have to go with more pitch.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #710
corster360
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Corey B

Total Props: 0

how would you make it so when you cut the engine the prop stopes horizontally so when in the middle of the plane to can land with no gear without hitting the prop or do you have to have a cetin type of engine
corster360 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.