Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Don W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 43

Total Props: 1
4 stroke twin

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I must be trying to think about this to much

Anyway, if a 4 strock twin (I will use a 120 for an example) is two 60 size engines using one crankshaft putting out the power of a single 120 or a 60? I believe that they fire alternately, so it would then act more like a 2 stroke, making the power the same as a 90 or so 2 stroke??? I also think it would have more/smoother power output than a same size single.
I know that twins sure sound great.
What started this all is that I am thinking of putting a twin in a 1/4 size cub and do not want it under powered.
Tinman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Re: 4 stroke twin

Back in the day when OS made their first version of the 1.20 Gemini engine, there were people using them in Sig 1/4 scale Cubs, both full span and clipped wing.

Having seen them fly, I would say that there was adequate power for realistic Cub flight, including the aerobatics which the clipped wing versions are capable of.

The second generation of the OS 1.20 Gemini was a more powerful engine and worked better. A present alternative is the OS 1.60 twin.

The power you will get out of the 1.20 twin will be less than a 1.20 single. There is much more internal mass and friction in the twin. It takes power just to run it. The twin is also considerably heavier than the single.

Years ago I had a G-Mark.30 twin (2 stroke). It had an output roughly equivalent to a .20 single cylinder two stroke.

The smaller your engine displacement, the greater the difference in output between the twin and the single of the same displacement.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0

I had a quarter scale cub (full span) with the original Gemini 120 twin (still have both) and it was very scale type flying. It had the power of a first generation OS 90 4 stroke.

Super smooth running and very quiet too. You can start it on one cylinder and then put the glow plug connector on the other cylinder to get it going.

The 160 Gemini is a much more powerful engine. I will be using one to power my 1/4 scale Stinson Reliant.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

A few years back, around 1994, I had a Balsa USA 1/4 Scale J3 Cub with the origional Gemini 1.20 twin. The Cub was built light and the 1.20 had more than enough power to fly the plane.

I am currently building another BUSA 1/4 Cub and as DO335 knows, I have a beautiful new OS Gemini 1.60 Flat Twin for power. It will have way more power than it will ever need but as has been said, its the only twin four stroke close enough in size to power the plane. I had origionally thought of using a Saito 182 Twin but its not a flat twin and the carb barrels stuck out the top and would have looked awful protruding out the top of the cowl.

A twin does sound awsome and does run somewhat smoother than a single but the single of the same displacement will always have more power than a comparable sized twin. As stated above, power is not the issue, with me anyway. Having a twin with the cylenders sticking out of each side of the Cub cowl will look beautiful and so much more scale than a single cylender on one side and a dummy cylender on the other. And the sound of a four stroke twin is hard to beat, unless of course you have a radial FS with multiple cylenders.

All the best with your project!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Don W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 43

Thanks for feedback
With the info you provided and my budget I will stay with the pre surpass 120 I have in it for now. Will start saving funds to get a twin for a later date, love that sound and yes, I do think a twin would also look a lot better with the heads sticking out both sides.
Thanks again
Tinman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

hello Don,10 years ago I built a sig 1/4 scale cub full span (clipped wing paint job,green & cream) installed a saito 182 twin.the carbs did cowl up it looked so good that i glassed up the two piece abs cowl.the heads look great out in the wind.the exhaust pipes run staight down and out, very clean. runs strong,super on floats.(lots of power)
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 13

due to the shorter stroke of twins they only generate aprox 2/3 the power of the same displacement single.and weigh mutch more .but the sound is to die for .LOL
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.