Using Lipo with 9C Futaba - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Sukhoi 68
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Scott Crosby
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C 2.4
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Using Lipo with 9C Futaba

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Has anyone been using a lipo battery with their Futaba transmitter? I installed a 3s 11.1v 2000mah battery in my Futaba 9C 72mhz and my 7C 2.4ghz and flew with them all summer, after a recomendation by my hobby stores well respected electronics guy. I did have two instances where my aircraft acted like they where being hit with RF, even on the 7C 2.4ghz. I have been reading this mths issue of RCME and the article in this issue said that the Futaba radios are not designed for the voltage the lipo's put out and that it could cause problems. Any input would be appreciated.
33%B-USA Fokker DVII/DLE85, 33% Deitchman Fokker EII/DLE111, 33% Weiss Fokker DR1/3W75, 33% B-USA Fokker Dr1/3W75 25% Cleveland Gotha G.V
MAAC# 23964 IMAC#5291, Fort Saskatchewan R/C Flyers Club, ERCS
MAAC Scale Committee
MAAC AZD Alberta
NWSAM Alberta Rep.

Futaba "The only way to fly"

Last edited by Sukhoi 68; 01-21-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Sukhoi 68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6
Re: Using Lipo with 9C Futaba

I was told to only charge the lipo to 80% of the capacity to keep it in the voltage range of the TX. Also don't use the TX low battery warning as it is too low for lipos.
I am still using nimhs myself but I have been seriously looking at putting a lipo in my tx.

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Harold D
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 0
Thumbs up Re: Using Lipo with 9C Futaba

Hey guys, I installed one in my Futaba 9C, used it all summer, got one for my 9ZAP, no problems.....
Happy wife, happy life
sugarpops is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

Got a LiPo in my 9CHP. No problems. Have only charged it once in 6 (?) months.

Thanks for the tip on not letting the voltage drop too low.
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: The cookie monster
Radio of choice:
Futaba baby!!!
# of RCs: 911

Total Props: 7

Using one in mine as well, I just don't charge mine to 100 percent capacity either. 80 % is plenty and it wont self discharge being a lipo.(not as much as a nimh anyways)
lilphil26 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Chris S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1

Sukhoi I have had no issues with mine at all!
shortkut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Kai S

Total Props: 1

Has one in my 9CAP-- No Issues- you got a volt meter on the transmitter to monitor the voltage- have used it for two month and have yet to charge it! remove it before charging and charge with balancer.
MAAC #71653
sorkai is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dave F

I have used a 3S 2200 lipo with my Futabe 9C Suoer for the last year and have had no problems. There is no way this should cause any of your interference problems as there is a regulator in the TX which will keep the voltage constant to the transmitter. There is a very slight possibility that the regulator could run too hot with the increased battery voltage but I doubt very much that the 5 to 10% voltage increase would cause it to overheat and fail. As some of the others have recommended you can recharge your battery to 90% to keep the voltage below 12 volts and you will be in the same ballpark as a freshly charged set of nicads. One of the negatives to using Lipo's is if you leave the transmitter on by mistake. Then the cells are toast. You may want to consider some of the new ready charged NiMh's such as Enerloops which will hold at least 85% of their charge for one year and have a 2000 mahr capacilty. I plan to change over to them. I use an 8 cell battery holder available at Radio Sheck.

Good Luck

376782 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
RCC Apprentice

Smile Re: Using Lipo with 9C Futaba

I was able to buy Rhino 2650mAh Li-Po's that fit my 2 7C's and they hold up like everyone elses.

If you're a tinkerer, you can add a 1N4001 diode to the power lead and it will not only lower the top voltage, but you can also count on the LV Alarm to tell you when there is still 20 minutes of time in the pack.

This also lets you FULLY-CHARGE the Li-Po pack to give you MAXIMUM time on it. Isn't that why you want to switch to it anyway? Quick charging AND long life.

It will take FUTABA engineers to make the transmitter turn off by itself when the battery gets low. Since the 14 series uses Lithium technology it shouldn't be too long until that propagates to the rest of the line.
Marc Gendron - President of the Quinapoxet Model Flyers Club, AMA Club #1019 Massachusetts
Canamflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.