Krylon Paint - Substitutes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
supercub Man
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James P
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
Krylon Paint - Substitutes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have had a great deal of success using Krylon Aerosol paints over Solartex fabric. My 1/5 scale Pica Waco was done this way and I just LOVE the stuff! But it took 7 cans of aerosol to do the job. This was not a problem expense wise, but it was a nuisance running up to get a couple more cans. I am now about to paint a 1/4 scale Skybolt (Dario Brisighella's) and a 1/4 scale BUSA Cub (J3 kit that I bashed into a PA1 Both these aircraft are covered with Sig Coverall and have a coat of Nitrate dope. Rib stitching and tape are applied and doped as well. Then all are covered with 2 lite coats of Minwax Polycrylic and lightly sanded as a base for the color. Both will be basicly white but would take many, many spray cans to create a good coating. I see that Krylon sell an Acrylic Latex in regular quart cans under the "Color Creations" name and I think this product would work well for me. I could then use the Krylon aerosol cans for the trim colors. But I can't find a Canadian supplier for the Krylon cans and therefore the question ...!

Does anyone know of a paint that I could use in place of the Krylon for the white that the Krylon colours would be compatible with?? There is a lot of "open structure" on the wings so stuff like Tremclad won't work as it is too hard and crackes (don't ask how iI know!!)

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9220009 (Medium).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	45124  
MAAC #5343
Waco Brotherhood #56
supercub Man is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★
I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 8
Re: Krylon Paint - Substitutes

I have not used the Krylon Latex brand paint, but I have tried many different Latex brand paints. The best I have found for model airplanes is the Behr Exterior latex available at Home Depot.

You should have no problem with the latex. Why not use latex for the trim colours? If you have an airbrush, it will turn it great.

Another option is the Auto Air Colors paint

These can be purchased at most auto paint supply companies. they are small bottles, but they are a high pigment paint and a little goes a long way. You'll need an airbrush.

I have had great results with these over latex. But I have only tried them with Behr.

It is always a good idea to test different types of paints on sample pieces before your plane just ot be certain you do not have a reaction.

Check out the Thunder Hangar Blog!!
grizak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.