RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Eduardo Galiano

Total Props: 0
Proper Prop for O.S. 60 FSR

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Everyone: I have a .60 sized old time F3A plane called the Vertigo in which I mounted a brand new 1970's vintage O.S. 60 FSR with Perry pump & carb. So it is an old time pattern airframe with a correspondingly old time powerplant. My question is this: what would the recommended prop size(s) be for this combination? Remember, this engine came out before the so-called long stroke engines made the scene. Right now I have an APC 11 x 7 in there, but I've never flown it in that configuration. Thanks for the suggestions.

eduardo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6
Re: Proper Prop for O.S. 60 FSR

Yes Eduardo,

Good start but the Vertigo is quite streamlined as you know from your pattern ships.
So it will unload quite a bit in the air.
You can step up to an APC 11 x 7.5 or 11 x 8 no problem in this configuration

cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ByronF

Total Props: 0
Re: Proper Prop for O.S. 60 FSR

As per Cassat's suggestion an 11 x 7.5 will work fine. But based on my old FSR's 11 x 8 is a bit much. Also APC are not the best props for these motors.
They had rather short crankshafts and the APC has a fairly thick hub so there is not a lot of thread for the prop nut with the prop washer installed.
You may be better off with a good wood prop. TF or Zinger works great for me on my FSR's.
Also my older OS motors like nitro and run great on 15% heli fuel with castor.
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.