Sylvan Aircraft Prodigy - Flying Wing - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc B

Total Props: 0
Sylvan Aircraft Prodigy - Flying Wing

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ok guys, I just want to post my maiden day results. Here's the tale of the tape:

AUW: 25 oz, including 1 oz of Pb in the nose
Turnigy 2700Kv Inrunner (102grams!!! )
CC Phx 35
Electron 6
3S Rhino 2350mAh 25C
Strengthned with CF Tubes and Gorilla Glue
Glassed with Henrys 183 and 3M90
WOT approx 28 Amps, 320Watts

I could remove the lead in the nose if I switched to a 65 g higher Kv outrunner, which I may do.

First throw was a power-off test glide, and tore off both winglets on landing which were only hot glued into position, so decided to conduct maiden without winglets!

Second throw: Slippery as hell....making a few trim passes it's definitely lacking lateral stability (which I was expecting!! ). But I had fun anyways.
Landed fairly easily, but I knew it could be better.

Got home, epoxied and taped the winglets into position, now they are not going anywhere!!

Back to the field, re-launched, half throttle gradual climb out to gain some altitude. A few clicks of down trim, and now it's time for some high speed passes. Now it's definitely a new wing with the winglets! What a beauty. Total control and MUCH easier to fly....

It lives up to what I was expecting and more. What a great sound to hear the prop go screaming by you 4 feet off the deck! I'm no expert, but I figure 80 mph with this setup, not as fast as I was hoping. I need more speed already. With a few tweaks and some different equipment, I could easily reach 100-110 mph.

This thing rocks guys. It's stable and is very easy to fly. Smooth as butter throughout the flight envelope. I still need a few more flights to trim it out completely, but I will be taking this with me wherever I go so I can always get my "speed fix."

Mine is covered with packing tape, but I will most likely re-cover it some day with Monokote. I'll bury the electronics and battery after a few more flights to confirm CG and trimming.

I recommend this wing for a cheap and easy speed fix. I bought this from Sylvan Aircraft for about $60 shipped when our dollar was strong!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prodgy wing.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	45865  

Last edited by BigBreeze; 02-11-2009 at 09:38 AM.
BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.