RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: Washout Problem

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Terry Gauvin View Post
I certainly wouldn't do anything until I built the second wing. 1 degree of washout rather than 2 will be of little consequence to you, the most important thing is that you have some washout and you do. The next thing to focus on is getting both wings the same, spend your time on the second wing and see what you end up with before even considering attempting to mess with the first one. If you end up with 1 degree on both wings then cover them and go fly.
This is what you should do as the first option.
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
homme de fer
RCC Contributor
I am: Marc A

Originally Posted by Mike Emilio View Post
This is what you should do as the first option.
And so I will start the left wing tonight and see what happens. If they both come out to 1 degree of washout, great. I will cover them and induce a little more washout by twisting and tightening the cover.

It may not come out to exactly 2 degrees but I should get close enough.

Thanks for the help.

homme de fer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: rob z

It's much more important that the amount of wash-out be the same between the two halves of the wing, than the total amount that there is. In real terms, with all of the inaccuracies of real life, the difference between one and two degrees of wash-out will not matter. Just make both wings the same, this is critical to a smooth flying plane that can be properly trimmed out. When you have both wing halves done, you can sand, into the leading edge, a change in the placement of the actual edge. That is, you can sand the edge higher at the root than the tip to give aerodynamic washout.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Like the man said build the other wing to match and do not try to change them. Wash out is used on real A/C to make the tips stall last and has very little effect on the lightly loaded model A/C wings. The more washout the more chance of your outside loops turning in to a spiral. So long as both wings are the same leave them alone.

kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
homme de fer
RCC Contributor
I am: Marc A

Thanks guys.

I actually think the incidence on the right wing may be 0 because I was measuring from the wing's trailing edge and not the aeleron trailing edge (which haven't been built yet). This being a semi symetrical wing, the addition of the aeleron will probably drop the washout to 0 or worse.

I started building the second wing and it is going much easier than the first. The right wing was really difficult to keep pressed against the washout jig while this one has been a pleasure; so much so that in about 3 hours of work, I have almost completed the wing (less the sheeting). The first wing took me about a week to get to this step.

Anyhow, I will finish the left wing and measure the washout. Then, I will bend the right wing to match using the steam method.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

PS. post mortem indicates that the ribs fit into the spar too tightly on the right wing, probably inducing an unfavourable twist. This is probably why the wing seemed to twist back to neutral washout whenever I took the weight off the top of the wing. On the left wing, I sanded the spar slots in the ribs so they fit a little easier (though not loose). Now, the wing stays pressed against the washout jig regardless of whether I have weight on it or not. Lesson learned.
homme de fer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.