The Old Glue Trick - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: The Old Glue Trick

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Leslie,
I'm sorry to have responded here the way I did, I was quite put off by your response in my thread asking about plumbing help as you can probably tell. However, it is what it is and life has to move forward.

As for checking the glue joint, if you can't do what wayne suggests, OR if you are concerned about the joint itself (many times with Epoxy or even CA, the glue outside of the joint that you might be able to check will still be hard, but if the wood has absorbed glow fuel, the nitro will break down the glue if it has a chance to soak, ie, in between 2 pieces of wood).
The best thing to do with a joint that you are questioning is reinforce it, on a firewall this is easy to do usually. The easiest method is to drill some 3/32" holes through the fuselage into the edge of the firewall (assuming a 1/4" firewall, if it's thicker you can use a bigger hole) and glue in some 3/32" dowels into those holes to "pin" the firewall in place. Even though you can buy carbon fiber these days in a rod, I would personally still use wood dowel, only because the glue will "soak" into all the wood and create a more solid glue bond that won't fracture or decay with vibration. This same technique can be used on gear blocks, wing bolt blocks etc.

From my experience, even airplanes 20 years or so old, IF they aren't soaked with nitro fuel, have good glue joints. The wood itself has always deteriorated before the glue joints in my experience.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Leslie S

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by Wayne MIller View Post
Hi Leslie,
I'm still naive enough to think RC Canada was built with the idea of helping others and building comradeship between modellers.

Hello Wayne

The above is a wonderful admission of your purpose on this site. Thankyou!

And thankyou for your kind help in answering my question

Leslie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

Unless the airframe was built using Ambroid or fish glue, you shouldn't have much trouble with the glue, more likely the wood will split and crack where the glue ends. All wood does this through dry/humid cycles unless it was treated very carefully.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:45 AM   #14
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

LGMs solution is a good one. One change i would suggest is that bamboo skewers are used to pin. Bamboo is very strong in lateral cross section but very porous lengthwise. Thin CA applied to the exposed end will wick the length of the 'pin' and provide good adhesion throughout the length. No need to worry about applying glue to the bottom of the hole.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #15
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

Just a little annectdote. Dragged out this old Hustler a few yrs ago after sitting since the mid 60s. seemed still sturdy so I threw a radio in her and took 'er up. After flying around a few minutes, one of the rudders blew off. rudder landed on the field so I kept on flying till the other one came off. Went into the slickest flatspin you've ever seen. Was going around in a blur but the sink rate was about 3 mph. Landed on the ground and just bounced a bit. Glued them back on with CA and it's been fine since. Motor is a K&B 21 ducted fan engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000037.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	46333  
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
RCC Apprentice
I am: andy d
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 dsm2
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 0

enough said lets go flying
hayman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.