Think twice before you post that video - New message from the MAAC site - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7
Thumbs up Think twice before you post that video - New message from the MAAC site

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just saw a new posting with a message from our MAAC president!

My 2 cents!!! I agree any video is worth 10,000 words so lets be pro positive with our internet image.

http://www.maac.ca

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Youngguy
RCC Contributor

I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4
Re: Think twice before you post that video - New message from the MAAC site

I agree as well. They do not only cause problems with insurance companys. When our club was applying for a Development permit, this type of video was used by those who objected to our new field development as evidence of the hazards models would cause.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Closterman
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Martin
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0

I'm also very agree with this opinion ! I make a little TV interview (local TV..) last week and the interviewer first question was : How kuch aircraft did you crash ???
Hey man ! I don't build a 600$ aircraft during 4 months just for crash it !!!.... I think that all of us need to show the positive side of our hobby. Yes, crash can happen, but it's not the normal thing.. But, with the ARF and all the cheap and easy to build aircraft, a lot of "moron" can now start in the hobby and give a lot of stuff for the youtube community.....
It's probably not the majority of the modelist, but it's this kind of guys that other people will remember.. badfully..

Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngguy View Post
I agree as well. They do not only cause problems with insurance companys. When our club was applying for a Development permit, this type of video was used by those who objected to our new field development as evidence of the hazards models would cause.
So what you are saying here is:

'let us rent your property, we aren't going to tell you about the occasional dangerous flying there'?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
astrofler
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

don't show any crashes, just post signs saying the hobby is dangerous........duh....

we shouldn't be doing either.

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"

Last edited by astrofler; 03-04-2009 at 09:43 AM.
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #6

Total Props: 57

I've been saying this for a long time, funny how when somebody posts a video (and not just of crashes but of people flying in stupid locations, doing stupid things etc) and you say something negative you get ripped on though. Instead people comment on how good the pilot must be to be able to fly his 40% extra off the road in front of his house.... give me a break.
This hobby needs to be portrayed and promoted as the safe hobby it is. Sure accidents happen, but as with any form of media, the bad stuff is latched onto much faster than the good.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

I really think this is a non-issue. All you have to do is look on TV and see all the Shows that feature cars, etc crashing. Who doesn't love watching those spectacular Police chases with the bad guys crashing at the end of the chase, insurance rates aren't going up because of the publicity. Insurance rates didn't go up because a Airliner landed in the Hudson river and everyone saw the video a million times. But I bet if lots of airplanes landed in rivers insurance rates would go up because of the increased accident rate. How many videos are there out there of Full scale aircraft or vehicles crashing and the insurance industry doesn't react to it. They put there rates up because of increased risk!!!!

The public perception is that we crash alot and it's true we do. We have a Public Relations problem. MAAC should be addressing that issue instead of posting warnings of Crash videos.

I am really getting tired of the Insurance Industry controlling our lives and what we can do and can't do. Or is it the the perception of them not giving us insurance that is controlling us. Why don't we fly safe and live safely because it is the right thing and not because the Insurance companies say we should or you won't get coverage.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
I really think this is a non-issue...
I am really getting tired of the Insurance Industry controlling our lives and what we can do and can't do. Or is it the the perception of them not giving us insurance that is controlling us. Why don't we fly safe and live safely because it is the right thing and not because the Insurance companies say we should or you won't get coverage.
Mike - I appreciate what you are saying - however...

The fact of the matter is that we live in a world that has lawyers and likes to use them in their quest for a free lunch.

Couple that with people that like to break the rules or get a thrill out of doing dangerous things and then blame someone else for their mistakes and here we go.

Most recently we have had the crash of the Bombardier Dash 8 in New York - the smoke hadn't yet cleared and papers had already been filed to sue the Airline, AC manufacturer and I don't know who else.

Wherein this may be a long way from our hobby, the lesson is clear - learn to protect yourself - Have a good insurance plan and follow the rules.

Failing that; be prepared to write a hefty cheque to defend yourself and cover the cost if the outcome is NOT in your favour.

You are quite correct though - we should all be flying safely.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #9

Total Props: 57

Considering the fact that MAAC is 1/10th the size of the AMA, and much smaller than that on the global scale, what if any difference is it going to make for MAAC members to stop posting videos?

Does Maac really believe they can stop EVERYONE from posting videos....they need to get used to dealing with videos being posted, because the rest of the planet doesn't care what problems maac has with getting insurance.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

I was always under the impression that insurance co.'s set their rates according to statistics and risk management, not videos on YouTube.
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in