A note from your friends at Great Hobbies - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Jim Ewing

Total Props: 3
A note from your friends at Great Hobbies

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Dear Friends on RCC,

It is very rare that we wade into the conversation on RCC as it is usually not our policy to conduct business in public forums. We like to keep you up to date on current offerings on the Commercial forum, and we do monitor the activity on many of the other threads, but rarely do we post. I felt it important to make an exception here.

Every once in a while, as I am sure you have all seen, there seems to be a few that like to get into the Great Hobbies bashing mode. We read all of these posts carefully and if we see that there is something we are doing wrong or that has affected a customer negatively, we look into it and try to rectify the issue directly, if it is warranted. Sometimes, however we find that people do post with distorted facts and stretch the truth to cast a negative light on us, for whatever reason.

When we were accused of being unethical in a recent post with regard to up-selling product that was beyond what the modeler needed, I took very serious notice. The entire management team at Great Hobbies took very serious notice. We may be human and make mistakes in life and business once in a while, but unethical is one thing we have prided ourselves in not being. Nor do we make it a policy of trying to sell people something that they do not want or need. Quite the contrary. There is no need for any of our sales people to up-sell either. They are not paid by commission, and contrary to another post, they do earn more than minimum wage.

One of the foundations this business has been built on is the fact that we try to get the modeler outfitted with the product he needs to enjoy the hobby on the budget he can afford. We lay out all the options from cheap to bling, then help guide him to the product choice that he feels most comfortable with.

We went back through our records to review the specific case mentioned. The actual products purchased were actually considerably less than the figures quoted and, as far as we could tell, were what was appropriate for the application as we understood it.

If someone has an issue with a transaction or one of our policies, we request that you contact us directly. We will deal with you fairly and ensure that the issue gets resolved. As it turned out in this case, the customer decided that it wasn't what he wanted and subsequently returned the product for a full refund.

For some reason some people want to portray us as a big, bad, box store; a faceless entity like a brick wall that they can throw things at when they are having a bad day. In fact we are a simple company of two hobby shops, owned by three partners who, along with numerous family members, still work in the business on a daily basis at the PEI location. We are the local hobby shop to many people. We have grown because we strive to treat you personally and fairly, put reasonable policies in place, work hard to build a suitable infrastructure, and hire a great staff to look after the demand of our products and services from hobbyists across this great country of ours.

Can we be all things to all people? Absolutely not. Nobody can. But we must be doing something right because we have been at this for twenty five years now. For the most part we have incredibly wonderful customers, some of which have been dealing with us from almost day one! I would personally like to take this opportunity to thank those of you who do support us on a regular basis. Thanks for allowing us to serve you the best we can. And if you see something that concerns you, please contact us directly. We appreciate your feedback. We need to see your perspective to help us get better.

Now everybody get off the dang computer and get building . . . spring is coming (I hope).
Jim Ewing
Great Hobbies
TGH1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Re: A note from your friends at Great Hobbies

Jim I would like to take the time and say that this is very well written, letting us the customer know that you are real people just like the rest of us.I think the biggest problem in this scenario is that one person told someone else who then told another (this is how Urban legends start) and the true facts got distorted. I have purchased over the years probably from your company more than my LHS because your prices are better including the cost of shipping. Most of the time when I have ordered I have look it up on line then I phone in my order. That way I know if it is in stock or not and I then know when to expect delivery.is always available whenever I have called and have always enjoyed doing business with your store
To a tree, balsa wood and MonoKote taste just like chicken!

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

I have ordered from Great Hobbies, Hobby Wholesale and Tower Hobbies and have found all these companies to be great to deal with. I always get what I ordered in a timely fashion and they have all been very helpful.
I am proud to say, that Great Hobbies is the major online hobby store that gets most of my online purchases. When an item is out of stock, they always fire me an email informing me of this fact, and give me options on how to proceed. I have always had great customer service from them and when I do phone, the staff has always been courteous and very helpful.
Their prices are always competitive and they never have tried to upsell with me. They have informed me in the past if an item is out of stock and if I would like to substitute something else in it's place. I really appreciate that kind of communication.
I have found that over the last year that all my purchases have been kept "north of the border". It is always beneficial to try and support all our local Canadian hobby shops, big or small, whenever we can as they are the ones that support our flying events when we have them.
Again, with regards to Great Hobbies..... no complaints here, they have always been a class act in my eyes. Keep up the good work.

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

My experience with Great Hobbies has been nothing but excellent......both price-wise and service wise. Last fall I was taking a trip back east and placed a large order with instructions that I would be picking it up at the store and gave them a rough idea when I planned to be there. At no time did I get the impression that they were doing me a "favor" by going out of the norm of mail order. Not only was my order complete and waiting for me but I found the staff to be excellent to deal with. My only regret is I didn't have more time to spend browsing the store because I am sure I would have found lots more things to spend money on..........

If I was wearing a hat consider it doffed to you and your great staff!!!!
spitfirefan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Marc A.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 6

I live 2 hrs from Edmonton, so when Im in the city I prefer to do all my RC shopping at GH , but when they dont have what I need I drive a few blocks west to HH.

There are a few things that should be changed with the GH website though, It would be nice to see if an item is available in Edmonton without having to CALL the P.E.I store to find out. I have a customer No. and cant even talk to someone less than 200 km's away if I have a problem or question.

Other than that I am a satisfied customer and shall remain one.
Marc A.

MAAC #81823... Valley Model Aeronautics Club.

Last edited by marco2236; 03-07-2009 at 06:25 AM.
marco2236 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

I have placed many orders with GH and have had great results each time, I am impressed with the level of service I have got, and the timely emails to help get my orders here quickly.

Keep up the good work!

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Hank U.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Total Props: 9

I find some people can be very different when they get behind a key board.

I call it KEY BOARD TRIGGER HAPPY, when it comes to a chronic complainer they get worse behind the key board. the diplomatic one's can sit back and get a good laugh out of them.

All the Best to Great Hobbies
MAAC # 51283

hitechflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David E. Arenburg
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Thumbs up Re: A note from your friends at Great Hobbies

I have been a customer of Great Hobbies from the very first day. I remember walking in the shop and having many interesting conversations with Jim.
I have, over the years placed many orders. I still drop in when we go to visit family in PEI.
Always Great people to deal with.

Have a Great Day !!!
Dave Arenburg
oldpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
I am: Bob S
Radio of choice:
Eclipse 7 (con. to 2.4 GHZ)
# of RCs: 6

I have been dealing with GH for a few year,s. The customer service is one of the best I have dealt with. I live 1-1/2 Hrs from LH. Driving 3 hrs round trip is Not very economical.You want a knob for customer service go to this one. (will not mention names) Just to mention,yes I have had great service from other LHS.As far as price goes GH will match the price of other HS, of course with some proof. One of the members at our club did just this about two months ago, no hassles or arguments. They verified the price and gladly matched the price. They are not perfect for sure, but nothing is. I am not bashing the LHS (well one yes) They are great if they are local, I love to go to LHS, but for me it is not practical. So for guy's like me, good thing for GH.
R.Sonnel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Dale I

I have no problem with the service at GH but I don't do much business there anymore because I can't call the Edmonton store and the people on the other end of there number need a number for a product. If you don't know the number you can't proceed. I call Hobby Wholesale and I can talk to a person. They get my business. Do what you will with this info GH but the amount of business you will get from me without knowledgable person on the other end of the phone is near 0.

Hey Buddy, thats a Kadet not an Extra!!!
Dig it is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.