A note from your friends at Great Hobbies - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #51
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2
Re: A note from your friends at Great Hobbies

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
I checked online and the items were green (in stock). When I arrived at the store and asked to buy them. I was told the servos were out of stock! The clerk then suggested I make an order and have them shipped through the PEI store to NS.
This is typical of the customer's that complain about GH. I'd say you have no reason to be upset with anyone but yourself.

#1 you say you checked online to see if the servo's were in stock. You know that GH has 2 locations and that although the website tells you if an item is in stock , it does not tell you at which location; So YOU ASSUMED they would be in stock in Edmonton. Upon visiting the store, it was determined that the items were located in PEI.

2.The clerk, trying to be helpful, suggests that you place an order and get them from PEI , So, YOU blow a fuse, blame the clerk for the Canadian Gov's taxes and quite likely storm out espousing how bad GH is.

All my dealings with GH have been great, I order my stuff on line and I get it; what more can you ask. Unlike some others, I'm not looking to call the Edmonton store and tie up the clerk with "chat" about my day at the flying field.

These guys are running a business and I think they do it well.

GH has set the standard that all other hobby shops follow. I know that other hobby stores go online to check GH pricing and base their own upon what they see. So, you can credit GH for that "deal" that u got somewhere else because the creative thinker at that store looked up GH price and undercut it by 5%

Phantoms Phorever

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 03-12-2009 at 08:47 AM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #52
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Only thing I do not like that has changed at Great Hobbies, is the ability to call the store in Edmonton directly and have someone look on the wall or talk to, I think taking away that ability was a mistake imho.
I believe that you can use the toll free line to PEI and ask them if a particular item is in stock in Edmonton. Mind you, the stock availability is a computer entry and sometimes that can be in error
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #53
RCC Contributor
I am: Greg P

Total Props: 2

Originally Posted by g-manz35 View Post
I do believe in shopping locally, but if I can get a LiPo for a third of the cost of getting it locally I will order overseas.

Here's part of my reply to a nice pm that flyswatter40 recently sent me:

You may not like the Hong Kong retaillers, but they aren't going away. Especially now that things are getting tight, their market share is only going to increase. You can cry about it and hate everyone that shops there, but that won't change anything. Or you can try and go with it. The electric forums over at RCG have exploded with larger electrics now that you can get lipos for 1/3 the price from Hong Kong. The smart companies are providing airframes and supplies to the people that can now start projects that they otherwise could only dream of. Do you think these people would be doing these projects at all if all they could get were lipos at local hobby shop prices? Don't look at it as money taken away from the local hobby shop, but as an oppertunity for the hobby shop to profit from a project that would otherwise would not have even been started.

That's why I don't feel bad about ordering some stuff from outside of the country. I have actually only ordered from Hong Kong once, but will do it again if it makes the difference between completing a project or not. I usually order my stuff from the U.S. because it's faster and nobody carries the brands that I like here in Canada. I would love it if they would. I have emailed GH a few times requesting certian brands, but they don't even take the time to reply. I shop from Canadian retaillers first whenever I can. Mostly to avoid duty and the hassle of a return, but I can't find everything here.
g.p. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.