Why is this hobby dying? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
RCC Contributor
I am: Bill G

Total Props: 0
Re: Why is this hobby dying?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I started in this hobby in 1976. You needed a radio licence (FCC) back then, and you had to put a lot of time and dedication into building your first trainer. Not having ARF's available created a certain amount of dedication and instilled a true love of planes and the hobby.
I got out of the hobby to raise a family, but shortly after got back in through the love of building. Most clubs, ours for sure ,go out of our way to make newcomers feel welcome.

With the advent of ARF's and parkfliers ther is much less devotion put into this hobby, making it easyer to walk away. You buy a plane with radio and motor installed, take it to the field, someone testflys the model and gives you some stick time. If you don't get it right away then it's pretty easy to walk away and chalk it up to just another expensive TOY.
My 3 cents.
Bill Green 18250
Sun Parlor RC Flyers
BillGreen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

I have to agree with less and less younger kids getting involved.
My son is eleven, he got his wings last summer when he was 10. In the beginning he was gung ho and ready to go to the field.
After he got his wings his interest started to wain. He did not want to go to the field as much as I did. He would often ask to stay home to play video games or go to a friends house. Of course to play video games.

Kids and young adults now a days, seem to need constant stimulation of one sort or another. They can't seem to just sit and relax. Enjoy a nice day. They constantly look for stuff to bombard their senses.
That and the fact that most people do not have the patiences to build a kit or put something together. They want instant gratification. Buy it at the Hobby store and drive straight to a field and expect immediate results.

This is a hobby where instant gratification does not work.
Let Me Think About It

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

I have been at this since I was 12 years old, now I am 32. In those 20 years I rarely remember seeing anyone else my age, the odd person maybe who had parents that flew. Almost everywhere I went (I have been active in 5 different clubs) I was almost always the youngest around, and even to this day I am still young by comparison.

In my view over the last 20 years, this hobby has never been a young persons game....and its never going to be. There will always be the exceptions that would rather play with airplanes than girls I am a different sort in that I found RC flying a big challenge and a constant focus of attention...my parents supported it probably because they figured it was better than many alternatives (I was a difficult child lol )

As for cost etc., there is far far far far more value in todays gear than in gear of 10-15 years ago....especially with manufacturing in China. The changes in RC in the last 10 years are amazing, stuff that could not have even been dreamed about is a staple of today.

I remember back in the mid 90's designing my own 40 size models and trying to get them to "3D" (a totally new concept) without enough power available or any concept of how to really make it happen....it was revolutionary at the time to see an airplane hover.

The hobby is not dying in the least, but it is changing rapidly....cheap far east manufacturing and accesibility to information in a rapid manner are two of the biggest drivers for this IMO.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #14

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post
Kids and young adults now a days, seem to need constant stimulation of one sort or another. They can't seem to just sit and relax. Enjoy a nice day. They constantly look for stuff to bombard their senses.

This is a hobby where instant gratification does not work.
Agree 100%. Also, I think it's a case of "I want it NOW" syndrome.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

Someone has suggested that my post above confused them; I was just trying to show how some conflicting incidents at various clubs, had pleased or upset me; to show what a lot of influence the atmosphere of the club and the personalities therein can have on people who 'spectate' and are interested in the ins and outs of what we're doing!
On the age issue, I agree - 'instant gratification' is the root cause, I'm sure. Also look at any old magazine of 35 or 50 years ago - the majority of participants are youngsters and I'll swear that a few of those in the pictures, appear in current magazines, only much more mature!!
One point I've not seen mentioned is that it is also getting far too complicated and this makes it a greater investment. Let us stress the simpler approaches that can be a great deal of fun and satisfaction, without having to take a hammer to the piggy-bank!
A further 2-phennig worth.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #16
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dave W

Total Props: 2

I'm 24 years old, and just getting back in to the hobby this year after being out of it for almost 10 years. I learned to fly on a Sig Kadet LT-40 I built myself when I was 12 and from there stepped up to a 4 star 40 and built a few SPADs too. I was a member of the Kingston Radio Controlled Modellers club for probably 3 or 4 years and also helped start up a MAAC field in Gananoque ON. Soon after that high school and air cadets started taking up most of my time. I then went to University and ended up selling all of my r/c gear to help cover living costs. I dropped out of univeristy and worked as a ramp rat/fueller for a few years as I just can't seem to stay away from aviation. I moved out to Alberta to take the aircraft maintenance course at SAIT which I'll be graduating from at the end of April and I just started flying R/C heli's and I'm building up an L-19 slowflyer during my spare time as well.

Coming back to the hobby after a few years I have noticed a few things...
1) Electronics are way less expensive with more features than they had before
2) Nobody makes kits anymore!!?? (this bugs me as I love building!)
3) Planes got smaller (thanks to better electronics and battery technology) which means you no longer need a large flying field to get your models in the air.

The last reason I think has to do a lot with why you aren't seeing many people at the flying field these days. Before if you wanted to learn to fly you had to pick up a 40 size trainer and head to your local field. These days companies seem to sell their planes by advertising that you can get right into the hobby without ever going to field or having another modeller teach you how to fly. I'm at PM Hobbycraft almost every day as it is only a few blocks from my school and I have to say that the R/C plane/heli section of the store is always buzzing with activity.
DaveWilson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

the first impression at any club leaves a lasting imprint it did for me you have to be made welcome a club should treat any possible new member as a costumer to sell him that he or she is important to belong to the club i was welcomed by gary maker my instructor and president of the brant flyers at that time i didnt know him at all i showed up at the field with my airplane and was made welcome and introduced by fellows that i will never forget did 8 flights that day man i was sold joined that club right away
WHY? because i felt wanted at that club
thanks again brant flyers
simcoeflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Marc S

Total Props: 39

..... if there is blame to be laid;

Let's pretend we work at the CBC;

Friggin "Global Warming"!!

(-30 again this morning.....like to invite Suzuki here and send him out to shovel some of my globally warmed snow)

Seems the amount of negative content is directly related to the length of the winter and the need to see some grass and smell some nitro.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Bjon. Don't get down man. I know exactly what you're talking about. There is a certain amout of people that will always be unfriendly, arrogant, close minded or negative in some way. I'm too busy and lifes too short to let those guys get me down. Some times you just have to cut your losses, ignore the politics and just let er rip. Do what you feel like and hang out with the good guys you know. Do what makes you happy. Let the grumps be grumpy. I'd rather be screaming around the field inverted and 5 feet off the deck than sitting around complaining about someone elses flying style or what ever.

On another note. I will always be greatful to the gentleman who taught me how to fly. Although we were very different in our flying styles we always said hello and chatted for a bit when we were out at the field. Those are the guys I remember.

I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #20
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

I feel the same as gmanz..... I was taught by my brother, Travis, and for that I will be forever gratefull.
All my flying buddies out here in Sask. are fantastic to hang around with and we are all in tune with each other and respect each others' right to fly. For me, I get as big a thrill to help someone to get started as the actual flying for myself.
Travis gave me his time to teach me and I will gladly give my time back to whomever I can.

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.