Why is this hobby dying? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Re: Why is this hobby dying?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I started modeling at age 7, and RC at age 12 or 13 - I will be 39 this year. Been at the hobby for a few years...

All I can say, is this:

In ANY organised sport/hobby/club, you will meet good and bad people, those you can trust and those you cannot, those who you will like to be friends with and those you would rather not.

That being said, I have never met ANY group of people I would rather hang out with, talk with and befriend than those that I have met through this hobby. Friom kids to men near triple my age, I have made many very good friends through the years all becasue we share a common passion for model aviation.

Yes, there are some bad apples, just like any other group. But far away most modelers I happen to meet and get to know are great people.

I have seen interest in the hobby go up, and down, back up again, and back down. Thats life - I have seen the same thing in other things I participate in such as local bands, curling & golf, and other sports like x-country and downhill skiing as well. There are so many things vying for people's "spare time" and "spare money" today, it is mind boggling.

I dont think the hobby is dying. I think we are in a great period of time (different than 10, 20 years ago, yes, but still a great time) for the hobby. We that contniue to be active in the hobby are going to keep it going, as others come and go.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

I have only been around the hobby for a couple of years, but I have to say that I've seen a fair bit of what the original poster is talking about.

I've never actually been a member of a club. I've shown up at a few fields, and sometimes I'm well received, and sometimes I just get odd sideways glances.

I think a good bit of it boils down to the average RC enthusiast being more than a touch socially awkward. I mean, be honest guys, have you ever stopped and taken a look around at a swap meet? It looks like a suspenders-convention!

At any rate, it is a different crowd than I would see at the pub on a Friday night

However, I've met a ton of great people through the hobby, many of whom I wouldn't consider socially awkward. I just think we all need to do our part to try to share our enthusiasm with each other and the strangers that show up at the field.

Just my two cents

Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #23
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dave W

At our club we are posting photos of the executive members at the field making it easier for new comers to find us and ask questions. I think part of the problem for some folks is that this is their avenue of escape for a couple hours a week and they simply don't like it being interupted. Every club has them.

Myself and most of the gang at our club emjoy showing off our gear to newbies and I find that by and large the guys at our field were very helpful in getting me flying in the right dight direction.

With the younger folks I believe you are correct in stating that there are an awful lot of distractions available to them.

Why not try getting a Scout troop involved with your club?
DaveWingman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #24
RCC Junior Contributor

Well I think that this hobby is great, but it is way too expensive and time consuming for alot of people. Most parents are both working, and they dont have any time to go around flying models on their spare time. Secondly, its a very risky hobby. Most everyone has crashed their planes and the rapair cost and trauma can be really bad. It's so much easier to just drive a car on the ground, or paint little army men. Yet, there is a certain thrill you get whever you do a low and slow pass that can never be compared with the noisy engine of a buggy spinning around in circles on a racetrack. That's just my 2 cents.
Keep Your Thumbs on the Sticks

MAAC #79690
flyingmachine is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #25
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

Their seems to be some concern about the cost of this hobby. I would like those of you who think that way to consider what an evening at the pub is costing you. Better, how much is a days skiing or snowboarding going to cost. How about the cost of a pair of skis or board plus the designer winter wear that one MUST have. Golf? anyone priced the cost of membership in a golf club recently? The price of a round of golf would supply me with enough fuel for a month. A set of clubs? Gee! I could get into jets for that price. Dinner out? A new plane? Cost is just an excuse, not the reason.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #26
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Clarence C
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C
# of RCs: 25

Nobody seems to get it. No, it's definately not cost.

For example, members of the public witnesses RC airplanes and helicopters being flown by experienced fliers, which the old hand makes to look like fun and quite easy to do.
Club members explain that if the spectator buys the equipment, joins a club, the newcomer will be trained to fly...cut and dried. Once the or if the newcomer gets any help, she or he soon discovers just how difficult the learning process can be.

Why is this hobby dying? http://www.rc-float-flying.rchomepag...instructor.htm

It is so easy to come up with reasons why they think the hobby is dying, but due to short comings of the current club promotion/training system and human nature, for all intents and purposes, there is no cure for this unfortunate situation.

The only solution would be if clubs had the same motivation as the rc aero modeling industry, who is a great barometer of the state of the hobby. Due to club doctrine, that will never happen. Although, I have a possible solution, but that is something no one seems to have a desire to know.

fliers1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #27
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc T
Radio of choice:

Originally Posted by bjon View Post
I entered into the world of rc aircraft in the fall of 2004, and flew for the first time in the late spring of 2005. I am middle aged and have been self employed for the past 27 years. Over the past 5 years I have had quite the experiences in the hobby.

The first trip to the local field(60 mile drive) in which I fly was quite the eye opener. As I drove up the road I saw for the first time ever a couple of rc planes flying . So an excited(and a little embarrased) 43 year old man shows up to the field with a brand new nexstar trainer for the first time. There was about 10 to 12 members present.

Well that day, I felt as if I was from outer space, not one person that day did so much as speak a word to me.I just got allot of looks. So I got back in my truck and watched for about ten minutes and drove back home.

Hi Brad,

I find it hard to believe that nobody would have helped you out if you asked for help . I belong to a fairly big club and don't know all the members . I don't run up to someone I don't recognize and ask him if he needs help . I assume he knows what he's doing and let him get to it . IF he asks for my help , I'm more than happy to oblige ! Did you actually let it be known that you were a beginner and needed a hand ? If you did, I'm sure you wouldn't have gotten back into your truck without a few flights under your belt!

Marc Thomson
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.

Last edited by 747drvr; 03-13-2009 at 08:36 AM.
747drvr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #28
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2

bjon, i don't have a story like yours as i was pretty much self taught. I live out in the boonies and no one else in town was flying so i learned on my own through a simulator and cheap parkflyers to start with. However my first opportunity to get to a club was back in the spring of 2007 for the sask provincial fun-fly. I have said it before and i'll say it again, what a great group of guys they have at the Saskatoon flying field (HCRCC) welcomed a newbie in with open arms and talked my ear off about what planes i fly and such. It opened me up to a side of the hobby that i have been missing and in my mind it was/is the best part of the hobby.

As for locally, well everyone in town and around town knows that i fly and there were 5 guys last year that bought Hobbyzone Super Cub's to try out. Only 2 of them have flown but it looks like between them and the guys that i have been slowly bringing along already we may have over 10 people in Nokomis that will be flying this year. I did a demonstration last year at the lake (15 min. south of town) with my Parkzone T-28. People were amazed when i told them how cheaply they could get into the hobby nowadays... most assumed it would be over $1000 and you'd have to build everything.

I'm happy to say in my area this hobby looks to be growing.

Don't led the duds get you down, this hobby is way to enjoyable to let that happen.

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #29
RCC Apprentice
I am: Terry M

I don`t agree with the first Quote at all! I meet a number of people who show quite an interest in our hobby but because of funds or simply time, cannot participate.Secondly my experiences have proved to me that although many people tend to keep to themselves or their own group if you put the first step forward alot of them come around, and sometimes those relationships become priceless. Like a comment made here I too got into this hobby with my 9 yr old and for a number of years not only did he get to enjoy this great hobby but got to know and interact with a number of very good men! Again priceless! But as I like to tell people "he outgrew this hobby, but I got hooked". No one should let someone`s indifference steer them away from anything you enjoy!!
mumified1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #30
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

It is always the same routine we go through here every winter. I have been fighting for beginners programs for decades now, and have been studiously ignored the whole time. I advocated the idea (from Europe) that clubs are NOT recognised unless they have an ACTIVE beginners program; I got many reasons why not, none of them aimed at helping the hobby to survive. We covered the declining membership in MAAC awhile back: there was lots of yelling and screaming about who was to blame, but not much in the way of useable, applicalble, answers.

Beginners programs, youth programs, cheaper models, more dedicated instructors, lots of answers, but it is the cliques who do the most damage to the hobby simply because Someone Else should do it. They have their egos to protect..
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.