Holy Crap Check Out This MAAC Insurance Bombshell - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: Holy Crap Check Out This MAAC Insurance Bombshell

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have to agree that this a reiteration of what has been in place for the last little while and it serves as a reminder that the halcyon days of the building and flying of model aeroplanes that I knew as a boy have gone forever! ............... the sight of a 35kg behometh powered by half a Volkswagen engine will never invoke in me the thrill I once knew when my Keil Kraft "Achilles" ... built on the families kitchen table first took to the air on the far side of farmer Giles five acre field.

This reminder and clarification is well intentioned and probably needed but I too realize that this may have a negative effect when a decision as to whether to! .... or not to subscribe to MAAC is made since the Park Flyer is numerous and obviously will not decrease...........
nigol is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

I was always under the impression that if you had the landowners permision and you put up a baricade and a sign stating models were being flown you were covered. In the notice posted by Mr. Barlow he states that this is changing.

"This means that ‘individual’ or ‘casual’ members operating models when essentially ‘unorganized’ at a park, a school yard, their home property, someone else’s property, or at a pond or lake are not covered by MAAC insurance."

" We have sought coverage extensions without success so far and our broker has advised us that this is unlikely to change in any major way."

Does this last statement not suggest that our coverage has changed? Those of you saying that it is the same rule reiterated may be incorrect. I think that Dennis asking for clarification is a good idea because we are obviously not all in agreement as to what the rules are and were. I personally would like to know for sure.

Looks like my options are quit or go uninsured.

I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084

Last edited by g-manz35; 03-22-2009 at 09:34 AM.
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David E. Arenburg
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Question Re: Holy Crap Check Out This MAAC Insurance Bombshell

You better check with your insurance broker, make sure you are covered, if it's not in writing ,then probably not.
I guess this makes it clear for the Insuring Broker, not so clear for the members?
So if you were flying off a field [permission from the owner], and your not a member of a club, but a MAAC member your not covered?.
oldpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Clemmens

This is indeed disturbing. It was always my understanding that if you had the land owner’s permission to fly on a given piece of property, [including your own] you were always covered as long as the safety code was followed.

Now it seems, even if I want to fly a foamy in my own back yard, I am no longer covered.
Mike Clemmens
50%300SFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor

No shock to me but also keep this in mind.The insurance companies have all taken a big hit with the economy and had most likely invested in the sub prime mess like a lot of others.So to reduce their risks,it looks like they may have clamped down on a few things.Park fliers,open farmers fields for only a few lads,etc.In my humble opinion,most can be overcome.A single flier could create a club existing of one or two people and have field insurance for their own personnel property or the farmer next door.Possible agreements with local community parks folks may also be possible if negotiated with our insurer. It's a different world again but most everything I saw in the notice has been in place for well over two decades. I would guess that some of you are just realizing it now.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
ISGUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
Glenn Nigh
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

Having at one time gone through some of the growing pains of a new club, several years ago now, I find the rules for insurance here just a reminder of what has always been.
I have wondered what would happen if a kid that came to a park or church yard to watch someone fly, accidentally got hit and hurt in the public park or church parking yard. No insurance unless the flying was registered as a MAAC event and all precautions had been taken. These days there are a lot of electric airplanes, that are getting fairly large now, finding their way to public parks, open fields, church parking lots etc. where there is no coverage by MAAC. MAAC is correct in reminding us of our true coverage.
I see no problem with registering the use of a field, gym, water site etc., temporary or perminant, with the proper requirements so MAAC has this information on hand if needed and to keep the insurance people up to date with the association members activities. If one or two flyers fly under special conditions it should be up to MAAC and the insurance company to resolve the problem. After all MAAC and the insurance people are there to promote and help protect the hobby and others while we enjoy our Sport.
As for the reciprical flying at AMA fields I see no problem as the AMA requires the same precautions at their fields as MAAC does so safety rules have not been broken. The idea here is that Clubs are supposed help beginners and members to keep safe flying practices at all times at the only place they have control, their own flying sites and special events. This is the way it has always been since the day I received my membership. Thank you MAAC.
Glenn Nigh MAAC #9343
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19

After talking to Richard, MAAC and AMA registered fields and events that have been following MAAC and AMA guidelines will still be covered as usual. The "grey" area is float sites that are "registered" with MAAC, in most cases registered as a "flying site" with MAAC . Clarification is required.
The only item definitely not covered is the park Model flying areas and private areas with or without permission. Richard and the MAAC safety committee are going to try their best to try and get coverage in these areas, but he is only giving a "heads up" that this may not be possible before the flying season starts, if ever, due to these areas being "open" to both pilots and the public ( as the insurance company cautions).

Bottom line...stay on MAAC registered fields and sanctioned events and there will no question of coverage providing the MAAC safety guidelines are met until further notice.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26

Last edited by ronnieo; 03-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

So many people being "surprised" by this really shocks me...
I don't see what has changed, I always understood that you were only covered at a MAAC sanctioned field or event to begin with. I always knew you were not covered flying in a park, or other NON MAAC field.

As for float fly's, indoor fly in's, etc:

3. Members while engaged in modeling activities at registered fields and at MAAC or club events.

This means PLAN YOUR EVENT, get the ZONE DIRECTORS APPROVAL, he submits your event to MAAC and it is now a sanctioned event and you are covered.

My suspicion in all of this is that many members buy their MAAC insurance and never bother to read the rules, what is and isn't covered etc. No different than your auto insurance, home insurance, business etc, many people buy it and just assume they are covered for everything.

I cannot for the life of me understand how ANYONE could think an insurance company would cover you flying in a school yard where at any time a small child could run by and be hit, or your airplane lose control and fly into traffic (I have witnessed this one) etc. When you fly at a dedicated RC field you assume and accept these risks, but you also fly knowing there are designated area's where people should and should not be. This is why there are rules in place such as where Pit area's must be in relation to runways, where Parking must be, why you can't fly over or behind the pit area's etc.

Why is this notice from MAAC a surprise to ANYONE!??

Rules like this will not be the demise of MAAC as was suggested earlier, the demise of MAAC will come from uninformed modelers creating problems for the entire RC community. This new generation of RC modelers definitely treat this hobby with a different attitude than those who have been in it for 20 + years, there is a much more lax attitude towards safety and rules than there has ever been, and THAT is what will hurt our hobby.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #19
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5

At the end of the day, not much has really changed...if there was an incident at a non registered site, you would be on the hook for at least the first $500 anyways...

We need to get out and support clubs in getting and keeping (big issue in this area) safe and secure flying sites where we can enjoy our hobby.
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #20
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David E. Arenburg
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1

Are we insured through AIG?.
oldpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.