Are you willing to pay more for MAAC insurance? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

View Poll Results: Are you willing to pay more for MAAC insurance? (Choose best match)
Yes, I'm willing to pay more as part of my basic MAAC dues. 16 21.92%
Yes, but those that want off-field coverage should pay a separate premium. 23 31.51%
No, better coverage is essential to me but we should drop other expenses to cover the cost. 25 34.25%
No, this not important enough to pay extra for. 9 12.33%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #31
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33
Re: Are you willing to pay more for MAAC insurance?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by reo View Post
I, along with two others fly off of my 160 acres of property that is rented out to other family members. I have no real concerns as far as liability is concerned except for the possibility that we could burn down half the countryside if we have a bad turbine crash at the wrong time of the year (late August and September when the crops are ripe). I have made the concious decision that if the threat of a major fire exists due to harvest and dry conditions, we just don't fly the jets at that time.....Ron

btw, my vote was to allow flying from non registered fields with insurance at an extra cost and maybe be able to specify what we need covered, e.g. crops in danger of fire damage.
further to my previous post in the quote above, our overfly area is exclusively on my property consisting of pasture, hay and canola fields. At worst, (with the jets) we MAY infringe over family owned property adjacent to my 160 acres. In short, even in a disastrous crash there is nothing to harm as long as we are not flying the jets during the dry harvest season. Yet, now we find out that flying from a non registered field like ours has always been a 'grey area' as far as insurance is concerned and now may even be a black and white issue where we are absolutely not insured with MAAC membership. In short, our flying site is likely safer than most from a liability standpoint but our MAAC insurance is not in effect when we fly at this site or others like it........go figure....

btw, one of the fellows did have a 'disastrous' jet crash a couple of years back with a total loss to airframe and engine due to the resulting fire. Aside from the obvious loss, from a liability standpoint it was a non-event, just a smoking hole in my short, as stated before, 'off site' flying does not mean 'unsafe' flying....Ron

Last edited by reo; 03-27-2009 at 10:02 AM.
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #32
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: Are you willing to pay more for MAAC insurance?

Originally Posted by LGM Guitars View Post
Of course they should, who's to say that that same person won't go fly a giant scale airplane at some point during the year? We're insuring liability, not the models themselves.

Your point is noted and understood but since you invoked the "Who's to Say" element let us take it a stage further! ...............

Who's to say that the dedicated indoor enthusiast who has engaged in this form of aeromodelling for his whole modelling life will ever aspire to owning or operating one of the gargantuan models that are seen at Maac sanctioned fields today! ......... you are correct when you say that Insurance is about Liability and Liability is very closely linked to Risk Factor just as the Premium I pay for Fire Coverage on my House is directly linked to how far it is located from a Fire Hydrant or whether or not I heat it with a Woodstove.

The point I am trying to make here is objective in as much that with all the verbage being bandied about with regard to "Are you willing to Pay more for Maac Insurance" the people who consider themselves at the Low Risk end of the spectrum are going to be likely to come in with a positive No and possibly even consider leaving Maac altogether! ......... all of this would ultimately result in the people who operate at the High Risk end of the spectrum having to pay more to indulge their want anyway...................................
nigol is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.