Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Club Incorporation

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This topic came up at our club meeting tonight. The premise is that in the event there is an accident, The club executive would be named as parties in a law suit. By incorporating this would make the club the party to be named. How many clubs are incorporated. Also is this a route more clubs may need to look at.

Last edited by aceplant00; 04-14-2009 at 09:53 PM.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Re: Club Incorportation

All clubs I belong to, and have belonged to are incorporated.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Re: Club Incorporation

Originally Posted by aceplant00 View Post
This topic came up at our club meeting tonight. The premise is that in the event there is an accident, The club executive would be named as parties in a law suit. By incorporating this would make the club the party to be named. How many clubs are incorporated. Also is this a route more clubs may need to look at.
As far as I know the Corporations Act states that the members will be protected. I don't think the officers of the club are exempt at all.

Here is the pertinent section: Canada Corporations Act Part II

You should have a good look at it. You might be surprised at some of its requirements.

Additional info

Last edited by Ken Currell; 04-14-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5

Last year our club was put in the position that we needed to be incorperated or lose our field. After asking here on RCC and talking to other clubs there was very little to go on and not much of a consensus on the subject. Sorry, not to bash MAAC as they are great organization and I thank them alot they were not much help either. We decided that as we our club did not have much money to hire a lawyer on our behalve I did it ourselves via on-line throught incorperation canada. Cost was about $700.00 and after having to jump through a few hoops and wqait about 4-5 weeks to get it back in the mail it was complete. satisfied the terms set out for us, and we are good to go. If the lawyer was to do this for us we were looking at several thousand $$$'s. If your club decides to incorperate PM me and I will send you the adress I used. The lady on the other end I was deling with was VERY helpful and patient with my MANY e-mails and silly questions
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4

There is insurance available to protect club exceutive from legal action as well as those who serve on committes.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

You do not need to be FEDERALLY INCORPORATED, but doing it through the province is sufficient.

The cost is really minimal -- not more than a hundred to two, and can be done as a walk-in. If you wish to have the incorporation papers actually specify the club name, it's more expensive and takes more time. However, all of the legal paperwork can say "XYZ model aircraft club (####### Ontario)".

For Ontario, the organization that you'd need would be a "not for profit corporation". This does not mean it's a charity (different set of requirements) but one that is not intended to turn a profit. Of course, building up contingency funds such as for the acquisition or development of a field is permissible as the funds will be used for the club.

There are annual reporting requirements but the level of DIY accounting done by the club treasurer is sufficient. Follow standard record keeping and report creation (balance sheet, income and expense statement, assets and depreciation calculation) plus the reports needed for the local Ministry of Finance.

I do know that the Aurora Model Aircraft Club is incorporated (though they did go through the Letters Patent process I believe rather than the voer-the-counter numbered company), and your executive should contact their executive to get the right information on what is required.

Last edited by PurgatorY; 04-15-2009 at 08:18 AM.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David E. Arenburg
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Thumbs up Re: Club Incorporation

Apple Valley Flyers Inc.

Sure made it easier to burrow the required funds to buy our Flying Field.
oldpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

As stated by Byrocat. Applies in BC also, non-profit is easy and does provide some protection to exec and directors.
In BC you don't even file financials anymore as of a year ago.
Just a simple form listing directors and exec info annually and of course the mandatory government fee ($25). So after becoming a non-profit the requirements are minimal.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: al h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Thumbs down Re: Club Incorporation

Our club in Sarnia is talking about dissolution from incorporation due to the cost of an auditor to file our income tax report at a cost of $650.00. The illustrious Gov. in their wisdom and Greed has deemed it nececary for our club to file an INCOME TAX report even though we are a non profit club, and our bank account and membership has , as most other clubs in the last while, gone down. Out of the frienship of one of our members, our taxes for the last few years was done by an accountant at no cast, but advised us that from now on it would be in the $500 to $600 dollar range. As you can see, we are weighing the sides to see which way we will go...............It will be interesting .......... Al

Last edited by plowboy; 04-19-2009 at 07:10 PM.
plowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
RCC Contributor
I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 18

Where do you go to get the information on provincial incorporation in Ontario? This has been discussed in our club, but nothing has ever come of it. Curious!!!
Ron L J Roy
MAAC 28139L

"If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!!!!"
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.