Who's doing vinyl letter for customers? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7
Who's doing vinyl letter for customers?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Wanted to know who's all got vinyl letter and or graphic cutters?

Was looking at the Scrapbooking people got a little machine called a Cricut that kind of neat for doing your own thing. Any one using this for plane graphics?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cricut.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	50063  
Not Happy? - Form your own Jet club "OVJ"
ken park is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: Who's doing vinyl letter for customers?

Hi Ken,
I've never used that one, I bought a MasterCAMM 36" vinyl cutter off of ebay for about $700USD. It came with the software for very basic cutting (enough to run the machine but no graphix program).
I bought Adobe Illustrator to create drawings for graphics (I primarily cut paint masks).
The cheaper machines work ok, this one is ok, but I would never use it if I needed very accurately cut lettering or something.
The biggest thing is a good drawing program that will give you vector files .eps format.
Unless you plan on cutting a LOT of vinyl, they aren't worth the money, BUT, if it's something you enjoy doing yourself, they are worth their weight in gold. I use mine almost every day for work (never making signs, just paint masks) and it's an absolutely awesome tool in my shop. One thing I do know for sure, is buy bigger than you think you'll need, you can always buy narrower vinyl, but I find with the small machines (6" and under) you waste more vinyl than you want simply because you have to cut everything lengthways, with the bigger machines it's A) Easier to buy the bigger vinyl and B) you can cut across the vinyl for most RC stuff, this means less waste generally.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6

A lot of the women are just getting the real tattoos now....never seems to wear off
or fade instead of the vinyl.
cassat is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Wayne V
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

I have a 48" Mimaki vinyl cutter that i bought off my uncle that used to have a sign shop. I use it mostly for race car and vehicle lettering but it also comes in handy for decals for my planes too.
Wayne V is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ByronF

I have 3 wide format print/cut machines that we use in our graphics business and I agree with LGM the small machines are not very practical. Even with a decent size unit there is more than the cost of the machine involved. The graphics software, cutting software and the rip for processing graphics files runs into the thousands $$ in a hurry. When you have that kind of money invested they need to be running everyday (as LGM does with his paint masks).
Then there is the learning curve to use all this software to get the desired results. I've had jobs where it has taken us 2 full days to convert a poor quality scan into a scalable vector file that the rip and plotter could understand.
So you may find it more cost effective and less of a headache to go to a local sign shop and have them print/cut the graphics for you.
But that having been said if you really think that this is something you will really enjoy doing then go for it. However I would not suggest the little unit you are looking at as it will have virtually no resale value (if you decide this is not for you) except maybe to a scrapbooker. You might even see if any of the local sign shops or sign supply companies have any used equipment for sale. Good luck on your decision.
And by the way the answer is yes... we do airplane graphics for fellow
r/c modelers.
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dav A

I was looking at one of those I walmart today, and yes first thought.."would it work for plane decals"..hmmm. It looks neat, you can buy a bunch of different cartridges with different fonts, graphics and designs, not sure if you are able to load you own designs or not, I think I will look into a bit further
dastallen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2

they have come out with some upgrades to the Cricut.... before you could only get what came with the cartridges now there are lots more options. your best bet is to check out a scrapbooking forum as they use them lots.

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc T
Radio of choice:

I got one called a PCut . Distributed by USCutter . Not bad for a cheap Chinese unit that only cost about $300 . It will do up to 24" wide and down to .25" Great to have it at my disposal for graphics and paint masks !

Marc Thomson
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
747drvr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.