economy has hit home... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 0
Re: economy has hit home...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

Let me know what your selling!
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho Marx

Maac # 60449
bigguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

We could (once again) get into a discussion of labour versus market price.

My experience on both sides of the marketplace is that you rarely get anything for your labour, and you'll be lucky to get the kit price. If you do custom (i.e. contract building), you probably won't get rich in a hurry unless you manage to scoop a film production deal or three.

My suggestion is to fly yourself silly, concentrate of finding other jobs that you can do with your skill set, and keep optimistic. This is the third major downturn that I've gone through since I entered the workforce, and the fifth that I can remember (I'm 55).
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
RCC Apprentice
I am: Richard K
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 6

I think the other reality is that craftsmanship is no longer really all that valued by our current disposable society.

My father (gone over 25 years now) was a master cabinet maker. The sorry truth of the matter was that he did not get paid much for his skills.

Look at most of the furniture in the stores .. at one time chairs and sofas could be reupholstered. Now they are thrown out since most of the frames are not worth the effort.

Clothing is mostly off the rack. I don't think I ever had a fully tailor made suit.

Who gets shoes custom made unless they have a lot of money or if they are forced to due to special needs? Likewise the skills that master craftsman have are rapidly disappearing as well.
kirch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2

Kirch..... so true so true, my grandparents farm house had cabinets that were built by a neighbor who was a master builder. He built them for my GP's as a wedding gift..... 3 years ago we moved them off the farm and into town, the cabinets still looked beautiful.... 84 years later!!
Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Flying French Dude
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Francis

ok i am perfectly convince of the quality product the gentlemen sells but here is one thing you might think about

if your hobby is building model airplane and your able to sell them for the price of the materials should be a happy men your hobby cost you almost nothing

a job is something you look to make money of
a hobby by defenition is to pass time doing somerthing you enjoy
and i dont see why i should pay you for enjoying yourself

if i ask you to custom build something its different (your kinda working for me ) i will expect to pay for your time because your building what I WANT and the way i want it
smilling me? nah this is my flying face
Flying French Dude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.