Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Brad G
Radio of choice:
the only one i have t6x
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
4-stroke nOOb question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys, i know this is probably gunna sound stupid to most of you out there, but i am a nOOb with 4 stroke motors. I was pondering the idea of hooking up a pressurized smoker system on my Mazda Zlin which has an ASP 65 4 stroke. My question to you is...can i use the existing vent line on the crank case to pressurize my oil tank for the smoke system? Also what oil are you using to produce the smoke?
raven_1978 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1
Re: 4-stroke nOOb question

If you just sit back and think about it for a moment, you'll figure out exactly why you do not use the crankcase vent to pressurize anything - namely because it won't work.

The volume inside the crankcase is constantly changing. It's smallest when your piston is at bottom dead center and largest when your piston is at top dead center. So there is air being pushed out of and sucked back into the crankcase through the breather.

That is not about to work as a pressure pump or a vacuum pump. If you introduce a check valve into a line connceted to the vent, you'd create a vacuum in the engine crankcase as the piston travels to top dead centre. So that would result in big problems and faulty engine operation too.

What you need is a constant push, as you get with exhaust pressure to pressurize a fuel system. No alternating suck and blow. Only blow.

Normally, we use an auxilliary pump, such as the Slimline smoke oil pump, for example. There are others available. And we use specific smoke oil, which is formulated to make lots of white smoke when it is heated and injected into the hot exhaust stream. Super Dry is such a product.

Also, since it's a petroleum product, you cannot use regular silicone glow fuel line withit. The two are incompatible. If you try the silicone fuel line with gasoline orother petroleum products, you will find that the silicone fule line virtually instantly swells - quite a bit too. Why not try it for yourself, just to see the results?
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

I have a perry pump that works with gas and diesel, but it requires a two stroke engine because it runs off base pressure. I believe they make a shaker pump that uses engine vibration to work. The Snow Birds use diesel fuel for their smoke. generally the alcohol pumps cannot be used to pump smoke oil.

kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Many of the guys who use a smoke system will experiment with various types of petrolium products adding this to that to try and get a good smoke oil at a reasonable price. Deseal fuel, automatic transmission fluid, white gas etc. Its time consuming, messy and seldom produces good smoke. As DO335 said, buy a product called "Super Dri smoke oil. Its about the best product available although it is somewhat expensive. Your local Hobby Store usually will carry a jug or two.

Jerry rigging your motor and such to get smoke pressure is not that great also. There are a number of pumps on the market to do the job very well with the least amount of fiddling. Most are usually priced from $100 up but its your best bet to get a good easy functioning smoke system.

You will also need a jug of good quality degreaser/cleaner cause at best, it is messy running a smoke system. You think you get a lot of slime from the fuel now, wait till you start pumping tank fulls of smoke oil through the system!

The keys to getting good smoke is to have a constant pressure pump, good quality smoke oil/fluid and tweaking the flow to get just the right amount of fluid going through the system.

As I said, its expensive to get started, its messy and it can take some time fiddling with the flow valve to get it just right. Once setup properly it does look awsome to see that beautiful trail of thick smoke but once the novalty wears off after just a few flights, most will not continue for very long anyways. Having to do a major cleanup every time you use it makes you quickly wonder if its really worth all the bother.

Anyway, if you decide to contine, buy the proper equipment and buy a quality smoke oil. That way you'll get the best results with the least amount of frustration.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.