R.Sonnel
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Bob S
Radio of choice:
Eclipse 7 (con. to 2.4 GHZ)
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Gas engine vibration vs glow

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I mounted a CRCC Pro 26cc gas engine on a Twist 150. (cut off the cheaks and reinforced the firewall). This is my first gas airplane. I new there was going to be more vibration than glow. After first flight,flew great lot's of power, I went home and installed steel washers with hard rubber backing on one end of the stand off's (closest to engine)and a very hard dense rubber shim at the firewall.The vibration level was way less than before.I would guestemate 50% less vibration, give or take a little. My question is, do other people with gas engines use any kind of rubber dampers to lessen vibration.

Thanks.
R.Sonnel is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237
Re: Gas engine vibration vs glow

be carful putting anything under the motor mounts as this will let the motor twist and apply uneven force to the lugs on the motor & may cause breakage .if you want to rubber mount ,first mount the motor and its standoffs solid to a dummy firewall & rubber mount that to the present firewall .you could use a 1/8 " 3/16 " thick piece of aluminum sheet metal and bolt it to the motor & drill another set of holes to mount it to the firewall ,put rubber between the 2 firewalls & behind the bolt heads inside the plane .(to answer your question it is rare to rubber mount a motor that small )I think when you fly gas you get used to seeing the vibration (check the prop balance though) .Roger

Last edited by RAMJET; 04-22-2009 at 11:31 AM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Nev
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Nev

Total Props: 3

OPTION 1
ENGINE VIBRATION ISOLATORS $20.95 from Bennett http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page4.htm
They are quite large so you need space...I have a set with spare rubbers if you want you buy them off me brand new never used.

OPTION 2
Large Engine Isolation Mount from Great Planes
http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmm1080.html

I was advised against any form of rubber mounting...as there have been cases where the rubber can apparently occilate out of sync with the engine vibration causing a worse effect. I still want to try it though. So keep us posted.
Nev is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Luke Planemaker
RCC Contributor

I am: Tony R

I had found and saved this pic, thinking I might try something similar. Might give you some ideas. Maybe rubber instead of springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l_0c91fa7728c745d4a31790c0d6acebf0.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	50487  
Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
3dflyer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: marc.c
Radio of choice:
hitec a9,jr 9303
# of RCs: 20

another thing that is missed is the needle settings on the carb.i have come across this from personal expierence ,until the motor is completely broken in you will experience some vibrations even with the prop being balanced.after the engine is broken in by adjusting the lowend needle in will cause the motor to smooth out.also when breaking in a new engine they are run in rich oil mixture until broken in .once you have switched over to a leaner oil/fuel mix after break in than you will probably have to tweak the needles abit and by doing that usally you will have a smoother running engine.just my 2 cnts.

life begins under 10ft and ends at ground zero.
fly it like you hate it.
troy built sponsored pilot.
cambrain rc flyers

Last edited by 3dflyer; 04-22-2009 at 04:12 PM.
3dflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Your CRCC is probably EI, but if you are running a mag engine you will always run a little rougher at idle due to the advanced ignition. My conversion smothened out a lot when I converted it to EI especially at low idle.

I should add that I'm talking about auto advance EI.

Cheers. George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 AM   #7
Don M.

I have soft mounted glow engines since the early 90's with great success. About 10 years ago I started dabbling in gas engines and figured that IF I soft mounted glow you MUST soft mount gas. I tried everything, the Bennett mounts, Lord mounts, rubber this, rubber that and had nothing but terrible experiences. Broken cowls, cracked canopies, loose covering, broken mufflers.

All along I kept reading and hearing DO NOT soft mount a gasser. Their crazy I said but after years of frustration I finally gave in and mounted them HARD to the firewall. Guess what ? All my problems went away.

As already mentioned, proper needle settings are MUCH more important than any mount you may try. A lot of guys are afraid to move the needle valves. I hear time and again " the needles are still factory set". I have never ran a new engine for over 1 min. without making some kind of adjustments. After all most of these things are set up in climates totally different than the end users climate.

Anyway that's my .02 worth. I'm not perfect or a know it all but have learned a lot through sweat and frustration.

Last edited by Don M.; 04-23-2009 at 04:08 AM.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
R.Sonnel

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
I have soft mounted glow engines since the early 90's with great success. About 10 years ago I started dabbling in gas engines and figured that IF I soft mounted glow you MUST soft mount gas. I tried everything, the Bennett mounts, Lord mounts, rubber this, rubber that and had nothing but terrible experiences. Broken cowls, cracked canopies, loose covering, broken mufflers.

All along I kept reading and hearing DO NOT soft mount a gasser. Their crazy I said but after years of frustration I finally gave in and mounted them HARD to the firewall. Guess what ? All my problems went away.

As already mentioned, proper needle settings are MUCH more important than any mount you may try. A lot of guys are afraid to move the needle valves. I hear time and again " the needles are still factory set". I have never ran a new engine for over 1 min. without making some kind of adjustments. After all most of these things are set up in climates totally different than the end users climate.

Anyway that's my .02 worth. I'm not perfect or a know it all but have learned a lot through sweat and frustration.
Hi Don,
Thanks to everyone for all the imput. I love these informative threads.(no verbal abuse)It really helps an intermediate modeller like myself. I will go with the consensus, no rubber mounts.

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Don M.

Hey Bob, I just realized who you were. How's the starter working ? I had a guy at the field the other day with a 50cc gasser he couldn't start. He asked if I had a starter that would turn it over. I just have a little glow starter that I use a 3S lipo on. I remembered that I had a 6S ( 25 volt ) lipo battery with me so I said let's try it. Well it started that 50cc like a .61, couldn't believe it.

Then smoke started coming out of Buddies hand and my starter wires were on fire Fixed it up as good as new when I got home. We could have used that big Dynatron

Set that gasser up right on the needles, bolt her fast to the firewall and you'll never look back. You just learned something in a couple of days that took me years ( I'm stubborn )
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
R.Sonnel

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
Hey Bob, I just realized who you were. How's the starter working ? I had a guy at the field the other day with a 50cc gasser he couldn't start. He asked if I had a starter that would turn it over. I just have a little glow starter that I use a 3S lipo on. I remembered that I had a 6S ( 25 volt ) lipo battery with me so I said let's try it. Well it started that 50cc like a .61, couldn't believe it.

Then smoke started coming out of Buddies hand and my starter wires were on fire Fixed it up as good as new when I got home. We could have used that big Dynatron

Set that gasser up right on the needles, bolt her fast to the firewall and you'll never look back. You just learned something in a couple of days that took me years ( I'm stubborn )
Hi Don,

The starter works great. Man,I shouldn't laugh but I can imagine the look on your faces when the smoke was comming from the starer, and the wires caught fire!! BTW the little 26cc is a little power house. Pulled the Twist 150 5 feet down the runway and 90 deg. straight up.

P.S Still laughing. Sorry Don.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in