This Forum on Old Timers - - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nostalgia - Old Timer Aircraft Everything about the good old days of RC!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1
This Forum on Old Timers -

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
People and planes??
I'm rather sad to see the fall-off of interest in posts on this topic; being an old timer myself I was enjoying all that was written on the subject and was instrumental, along with others, in persuading Jason to create it. I'm not able to be very active in this facet of modelling but love old timers and swear I'll build my favourite, the Brigidier (not really spelled wrong, that's the way the original plan spelled it, I believe!) even if (heaven forbid) I have to electrify it. Replica kit is up in the closet! But I would have loved to have put in it my pristine old Ohlsson 23 ignition I acquired for it many years ago!
So please let us hear a bit more from all those who enjoy Ol' Timers, even if they're not ol' timers themselves. Amen.

Last edited by Spitball; 05-06-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116
Re: This Forum on Old Timers -

Lots of guy's flying the oldtimers Spitball just not many online to discuss it. RC Groups has a very active Nastalgia forum, anything and everything you need to know.
I'm hoping it will pick up here in the future but who knows. I will try and do some video this year but flying alone most of the time makes that a little tricky. After a hectic day or week at work there's nothing like an 8ft oldtimer floating around with a vintage four stroke puttin along.
You only land when you get tired, have to take a leak or fly a different one

regards Bill
ps if your ever in the Caledonia area drop in.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7

I noticed right away that "Old Timers" seemed to be restricted to gassies, and that rubber models need not apply. I had a Long Cabin for some years, enjoyed it immensely, ran some old diesels in it.

However, I really enjoy building other stuff as well. At the moment I am building a Boeing B9 from a 1932 UMAN magazine; it was originally rubber power, now converting it to electric, as a freeflight model. I really don't think those on this site would have any interest in such a project, as "r/c" would seem to be the qualifier...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Free flight with the old ignition motors would be great if you had a place to fly them. Just sport flying these old designs is alot of fun and you can kill your motor when ever you like. Everything changes and generally for the better.
Mr. Lyttle we would be very interested in anything vintage you are building and flying including rubber. I have a Long Cabin ready for a test flight and I'm hoping I have not underpowered it with a 26fs. Should be fun

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	long cabin finished 004.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	51362   Click image for larger version

Name:	long cabin finished 002.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	51363   Click image for larger version

Name:	long cabin finished 005.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	51364  
Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Actually 'Old Timers' and 'R/C' is a bit of an oxymoron (is that the right word?) but R/C assist to keep your craft in the same field is a good idea.
But surely any model that can be thought of as vintage is of interest to all of us who care where it all started? Please continue to share with us all your projects, be they PlayBoys, Brigidiers, Comet Sparkies or even Megow Spitballs!
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

My Long Cabin never had any more than a 3.5 (.21) in it, and it was fine; most of the time it ran a 2.5 diesel. It was no skyrocket, but it made a great trainer. It would thermal easily, keeping up with quite a few of the contemporary sailplanes. My next move will be to build a smaller one for Speed400, but I am torn between the Long Cabin and the Weathers Westerner...

Here is a pic of the B9 under construction; ruler gives an idea of scale. Power is a pair of Mini4s, and three 110mA batteries. Didn't get covered before flying season hit!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B9-2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	51383  
Old 05-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

Wow, hard to get a word in edgewise here... Everyone is out flying, I guess.

On another site, far, far away, the subject of beginners not wanting to build came up. I mentioned that the recommended first model for Air Cadets in the 40s was the Junior Commercial. Can you imagine handing a teen the kit that built up into this, and the reaction you would get?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jrcom1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	51656  
Old 05-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Denmac
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
J.R.9Chan. 2.4 Gig
# of RCs: 15P

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Wow, hard to get a word in edgewise here... Everyone is out flying, I guess.

On another site, far, far away, the subject of beginners not wanting to build came up. I mentioned that the recommended first model for Air Cadets in the 40s was the Junior Commercial. Can you imagine handing a teen the kit that built up into this, and the reaction you would get?
Absolutely great. Boy , that little plane ,(rubber Jobby) bought back some great memories.
I was in the A.T.C. for many years, and we used to start our Kadets off, with Ist, the Kiekraft achilies, about 30 inch span,(something like the one you show) then we moved on to the larger 36 inch "Ajax" also by Keil. After that, it was anything goes. All with a view to moving up to "Wakefield " Class.
Then this really sorted out the keen flyers among us. I can remember my 1st Wakefield plane, built from Aeromodeler plans, called the "IBIS' All made from "Obechi" wood framing, Balsa was very , very scarce, almost non-existant, in those days. When you did manage to get some, it was as Hard as rocks as well. Called "Solarbo", brand name. It was junk for many years, because of W.W.2. going on. Hope the quallity came back up to par.
Rubber was the other very scarce thing too, very poor quality. I can remember putting about 400 turns onto the prop winding, but when I let go the prop, it never moved ??, the rubber had stretched so bad. Yes just a few challenges in those days. I bet there are few Modeller's out there still, that can relate to what I have said. Those were the days.
Then later a company named "Caton" started selling rubber that was very good stuff. Expensive, but really made a difference.
Hope My rambling has stired a few good memories up. Keep this nostalgia stuff going boys.
Take care everyone. Dennis.
Denmac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I guess this c/l model is not really an "Old Timer", but I don't know what the cutoff is for c/l. My first model after I learned to fly on a Firebaby was a Joy Products (now Balsa USA) Stunt Runt. I spent some time looking for plans without success, then I noticed that Blackhawk Models was offering a "Navy Fighter", based on the Stunt Runt; I ordered one immediately. Once I got the kit, I notice some differences, such as a plastic cowl etc. Reshaping the fuselage was easy (using an old ad for the 'Runt), and here's the result. 1952 is just a few hours away! This time I will use my PAW55 instead of my all-sound-no-fury OK Cub...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stunt Runt 003.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	51768  
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
valhalla
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Paul J

I ordered two sets of plans for the Cleveland Condor glider, if that counts for anything. Hoping to build one over the winter.

This is the plane my Dad used to describe to me when I was a boy. When he was a lad, he and his friends built them and launched them over a gravel pit. The gliders would catch thermals and the boys would run across the countryside. Sometimes they would get the glider back, somtimes the glider just kept on going up there.
valhalla is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in