RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Corey B

Total Props: 0
do simulators actualy work

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i want to know if they actualy work iv been spending about 2 hours a day on one and i want to know if this will get my wings for me on sunday or do they just get you used to the controlls because i am getting bored from it and should i keep staying on it
corster360 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Robert S

Re: do simulators actualy work

When you fly on a sim you must practice what you are going to be doing to get your wings just cranking the sticks does not make you a better pilot you have to practice with a purpose also crank up the wind and turbulance to get a better feel for flying in different conditions. Sims don't take away the nerves actual stick time builds that confidence. I honestly find real flying a little easier because I can see more of the surroundings and get a better perspective for landing. All in all the sim is a great tool for learning I don't know how you are on the nerves side of things but that has alot to do with making the right decisions in the air and overconfidence will plant a plane just as fast. If you clear or not depends on you and only an instructor can confirm that.

Have fun

truman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
I am: Bob S
Radio of choice:
Eclipse 7 (con. to 2.4 GHZ)
# of RCs: 6

It doesn't hurt. It keeps the fingers in tune. Also helps to figure out different manouevers before trying at the field.
R.Sonnel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

It's the greatest invention since Skippy peanut butter.

I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
junior flyer
RCC Apprentice
I am: t a

Oh ya the simulator works. Mostly it helps with orientation of the aircraft. If you are just starting out, it would be great, but once you are flying it can get boring. Then after that though, when you want to try advanced aerobatics or fly patterns it is very good for practice as well as orientation. It would have taken me a year to learn to do the rolling harrier and rolling circles and loops, but with the sim I learned in a matter of days and now do them with my real planes really low. It really works if you use it as a training tool and not just a video game.
good day
junior flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
RCC Apprentice

The sim is great for kinesthetic sence. It teaches your hands and finger what it's all about. Where it fails is in the perspective at the field. You are not in the aircraft. You are controlling it from a fixed position and the distance that the plane is from you at the field and the distance you are from the plane on the sim are two different things. Don't stop using the sim but remember that the real challenge is at the field. What's that saying; take offs are optional, but landings are manditory.
Good Luck. Shad.
Shad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8

Had a guy in our club that had never flown before (RC car guy).. Wanted to fly, so bought a PT-40 or similar trainer to fly. Bought a sim to learn before he flew it.. And his first flight ever, he took off, flew around, and landed all by himself.. Do they work? you bet they do..
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: Chris S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1

I firmly believe that stick time is stick time! The more time you spend on the sticks the better you will be!
shortkut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
RCC Apprentice

It's the final 10 feet of altitude that the sims don't get right, in my experience (based on RealFlight 3.5 and a copy of FSPD I **ahem** evaluated). You don't get a good sense for what happens if the wind suddenly drops, the turbulence down low, etc, while on final approach, which is where most accidents seem to happen (other than a spectacular mid-air I got to witness last weekend)

You also have to resist the temptation to go balls-out on the sim and fly in ways you would never attempt in real life, or I think it could lead to bad habits fast. It also doesn't model the wear and tear and fatigue that rough landings and handling exact on a model - plunking it down hard in the sim is one thing, but its another in real life when it slowly splays your landing gear and loosens up wing joints and stuff.

One way I have heard it described, and I think I would agree, is that it chops one full season of flying off your learning curve. All that early time spent figuring out orientation and which way to deflect the flight controls, how/why stalls occur, etc, can be done on the sim.
sclitheroe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Ed Smith

Somewhere else in this Forum is a long discussion about this hobby dying in recent years.

This period of dying seems to coincide with the introduction of ARFs and flight simulators. Think about it.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.