8' Beaver and Scale help! - Page 16 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #151
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 1
Re: 8' Beaver and Scale help!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by flytwice View Post
Hey Maxadventure: This plane of yours is going to rock!!
Looks great, the nose looks just like the real thing! Good job! Can you say TURBO BEAVER!!
Not real sure if you have big enough wheels yet, tho, hehehe!!! I like it. Whos wheels, what brand and size?? I'm using 4 1/4" Dubro Big Wheels, I think I'll have to get a set of Tundras now!
Don't forget to put some good size holes in the wing mount, for the damned wires, and don't ask how I know this, OK>
Thanks for posting the picture Max, keep up the great work!! flytwice
The wheels are 150mm super light from Kavan. There is something about tundra tires I just love - as goofy as they are.

The gear is set up so far to be removable for floats, and I've started laying out the brakes that will come out with the gear. I'm going to see how well the wire does with the full weight, and if it needs more I'm going to add another strut to scale-like suspension dampner. If it works as-is, I'll just put a balsa faring that looks like scale.

Right after that photo, I finished the bottom stringers, it looks funny now to look back at that shot. I'm leaving off the rest of the nose sheeting till I figure out where everything is going to sit. I have an idea for a front hatch but I need to see where I need access first.

I'm really at an odd place where I'm bouncing back and forth doing little things here and there. I spent some time today figuring out how I'm going to hinge the tail, going over photos of MR beaver design, actual photos, and all the beaver threads I have bookmarked. I think I'm going with an outward scale appearance, but easy-peasy Robart pin hinges and the hinge pockets so I can remove the tail surfaces.

As far as the wires, only today did I notice I hadn't cut those holes! I did the wings, and I'll do the fuse tomorrow I suspect.

maxadventure is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #152
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3

Hi Max I probably shouldn't have said anything about the wire holes! I went to put the first wing on myself, guess what, no holes for wires!!
That landing gear is pretty stiff, likely fine, but simple to ad a third member if needed.
I did have a chuckle when I first saw you picture, kind of looked like a dried up fish without the formers behind the cowl!! It still the foundation of a Turbo beaver, so it has to be cool, right.
My 8 ft Turbo is off to be painted this Wed morning -who-hoo! The graphics, then pictures, lots of pictures, probably by the weekend!
Then I can start building the trailer to haul the Beavers(3) around.
Oh yeah, I just contacted Ivan Pettigrew about plans for a 86" Twin Otter!
Thanks for the info on the wheels, I'll check them out!
Keep your pictures coming, Max!! I'm sure lots of guys are watching your build! flytwice
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #153
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 1

hey folks, my long overdue photo updates have started:

I've been heads down on the build and not taking time to post progress. You are all invited down south to help build and photograph if you would like!
maxadventure is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.