RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Leslie S

Total Props: 0
Plans Printing & Enlargement

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi .
Does anyone know where I can get plans enlarged and printed in the Edmonton area?

I have some magazine centerfolds that give permission to enlarge to full size, and would also like to copy some that are currently fullsize. Any help is appreciated.

P/S - This is a 2nd post, the first one is probably in the wrong section
Leslie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1
Re: Plans Printing & Enlargement

When you find a copy shop that can handle this, I'd suggest that you do a small test first.

Enlarge just a section of your plan to the intended size and see how you like it.

You will most likely find that many of the lines which should be straight are not. They also tend to be fuzzy when enlarged from dinky magazines to any useful size.

Another option is to scan them yourself or have someone with a high end scanner do it for you. During scanning or later on you can adjust the size and print in small pieces - called tiles - if you do not have a large size printer. This will work if you allow some overlap for assembling the sheets. Then it's an easy matter to see what needs adjusting due to distortion in the original.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

I'm assuming that you've been reading RCM&E magazine with the almost-tissuepaper plansheets, or one of the other English magazines that do that on a regular basis. QEFI (Quiet and Electric Flight International) did various Ron Laden designs and there was no mention of massive distortions in any of the threads on RCGroups (PushyCat and Eurofighter park pushers).

I'm going to make an assumption that the English magazines are full-digital enterprises, so reducing the plans is merely a matter of dialing in the reduction factor and VOILA! exact copy in smaller size without any distortion of the lines. Either CAD or images scanned on a digital scanner, no photographic processes involved.

I've enlarged several of the designs featured as free plans and the distortion is minimal, contrary to what Mattew says. If you were enlarging from the Flying Models plan copies found in the magazines, I'd agree with him on the distortion.

Check in your local Canada411 under "reproduction" of "blueprints"
Here's one that looks good:
Davis Blueprint Reproductions
9828 44 Avenue Nw, Edmonton, AB T6E 5E5
Telephone : 780-437-7242 Free Call

Save & Share Add these tools to your website
Text Message Add to Facebook Email a Friend
My Address Book Bookmark Print
Blueprints Plotting Oversize Copies
Laminating & Binding
Scan to File B/W & Color Photocopy Business DetailsWe serve you since 1980
Products and Services
Cd Burning
Copying & Duplicating Service
Digital Copying
Laminating & Binding
Oversized Copying
Pick-Up & Delivery
Reproduction Services
Rush Jobs
more [x]

Opening Hours
Monday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm

Languages Spoken
Methods of Payment
Cash, Check, Debit, MasterCard, Visa
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
I am: Cedric V.

If you want a copy of a full size plan, ask if they use a 'flat bed copier'; they introduce little distortion but there is a limit to how big a plan they can manage. The other copiers do introduce a bit of distortion lengthwise, generally. Not much though - would it matter? Not cheap, generally!
Some plans (R/C Modeler f'rinstance), have an inch scale rule at the lower right - measure that on the sheet you want to blow up and work out how much you need to enlarge it to be full scale, then take the square root of that factor and dial it into their copier and enlarge twice - has worked several times for me in the past. Check the intermediate result and tweak the enlargement factor so that the end result is as close as you want! Stick the tiles together with glue-stick. Seems complicated but isn't really - a pocket calculator can help! My H-P Scanner/Copier/Printer can do 2x, 3x and 4x enlargement (Poster) and you can dial in a % reduction so manage most jobs much as DO335 suggests.
My two phennig's worth.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
Lake Flyer
RCC Contributor
I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: To

I've always used the local Kinko's. After resizing you should check the accuracy by measuring something horizontally and vertically. I've gotten resized plans back that were way out and pretty much useless. Most of the plans I resize at Kinko's are withen 1/16" of what my math tells me they should be.
Lake Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.