what is the best to start on? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
what is the best to start on?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hi i am a brand new member and i was wondering what is the best plane to get started with i have no experience flying rc plane but i do own a lot of rc ground stuff, now i know thats not even close to the same but i am familiar with building and installing servos has i own 2 tamiya tiger tanks but ive been looking for a different thrill and i think flying is it.

I was thinking about getting a super cub would that be a smart choice ?

some of you will probably laugh but my goal would be to be able to handle flying edf military jets but im willing to do the grind to get there just need a push in the rigth direction thanks in advance for whoever got time to write on this thread

alexg03 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
Re: what is the best to start on?

Actually it is close to the same. Now you've just asked how to get started which means that everyone and their dog will be giving you advice. It sounds like you want to go electric all the way. The best way to learn to fly is to join the Hub City Radio Control club and have one of the guys out there instruct you, but if I had to guess I would say you want to learn on your own. In that case you could buy something like a Parkzone Cub and go out and fly on the calmest of evenings/mornings (4 times a month). If you try this you will probably learn how to fly and in time progress to something a little more difficult. That being said I would rather see you buy a nice 4 channel trainer and get proper instruction. I use to be a member of the HCRCC and I still go back and fly whenever I can. They are a great bunch of guys.
When you ask a question like this it is best to give as much info as possible such as age, free time, budget. Other wise you get a whole bunch of advise that does not apply to your situation.

The cub

A nice 4 channel trainer

Good luck. George
I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084

Last edited by g-manz35; 06-30-2009 at 12:28 AM.
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1

"Actually it is close to the same. Now you've just asked how to get started which means that everyone and their dog will be giving you advice."

Absolutely true. George is right on the mark about that. It includes his advice.

More suggestions:
He's correct, since you have already firured out controlling the model when it is coming towards you and going away from you.

Flying though is another matter. It's best to learn from someone who actually knows how an airplane flys - not how he thinks an airplane flys, as is the case with so many RC types.

As a first trainer, a Cub - J-3 or Super, stinks. If it's been fudged to be an acceptable trainer, it's not a Cub.

Other than that, if the goal is EDF jets, I'd suggest that you start with electrics as opposed to glow. Start working on your collection and knowledge of electric stuf instead of something which will not get you where you want to go. Changing later will be a massive extra expense. Of course, if funds are not an issue, that's irrelevant, as is the need to become reeducated in sytems going from glow to electric.

Stay focused.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Richard K
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0

To start with invest in a flight simulator for the computer. It will save you loads of time in getting the orientation and basic idea of how the plane flies using a transmitter.

Definitely learn to fly with an instructor if you can. I was required to have a buddy box at my club. I went straight to a four channel electric trainer. Ailerons are way cool. I think I would have found just a rudder irritating.

I would have crashed my plane a handful of times without the instructor. Plus a few more times that I am sure I stayed away from problems in advance because they already warned me. For example ending up in trees is way easier than one might think. I have avoided it so far (knock on wood).

I started with the E-Flite Apprentice. http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=EFL2725. Just get at least a second battery. Gives 15 minute flights with still lots of juice to spare on the 3200 mAh pack.
Blade mCX, mSR E-Flite Apprentice 15e Parkzone T28D, Extra 300, um P51D, um J-3 Cub, um T28, night Vapor
kirch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.