Seagull Extra 260-90 and Edge 540-V2-60 3D Capabilities? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Avi Persaud
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Avi P.
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
Seagull Extra 260-90 and Edge 540-V2-60 3D Capabilities?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all, first of all i'm amazed I have never posted anything on this particular forum before even though I have been on it so long!

Anyway, To the point: I am interested in the 2 above mentioned Seagull model planes, but I would prefer one which has a bit more 3D capability, I looked for reviews and vids online but no one really seemed to give input on 3D capability, though I have seen some good footage of them doing tight rolling harriers, but what about the rest of the standard 3D manoeuvers? The control surfaces look large, but not proportionally large enough when compared to some of my large electric 3D planes.

I would probably be putting a 2-Stroke 1.20 of some sort into the chosen one, so I am hoping for half throttle Torque-Rolling if possible.

Anyone experienced with these planes, please help out! Thanks.

Last edited by Avi Persaud; 07-06-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Avi Persaud is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0
Re: Seagull Extra 260-90 and Edge 540-V2-60 3D Capabilities?

I had the Edge540 for awhile. However, I didn't have the V2. Mine was the earlier version. Seen in my avatar, and at this link:

The main difference is the V2 has a much needed bigger main wing, imho. The plane was very well built, light yet sturdy.

My Edge was very easy to fly. It flew as well inverted and sideways at it did upright. But sometimes would unexpectedly snap out of corners and verticle pulls. I am not an agressive flyer and never pulled hard. So this was my only beef with the plane and which kept me from pushing very much. I felt the issue was simply an undersized wing, which I was pleased to see corrected when the V2 came along.

Now I am not a very good 3D guy but I can hover, do a decent knife edge, fumble up at waterfalls, and even hold a torque roll for a bit. At the low speed hi-alpha the 540 was stable and had good control throughout.

For power I used an ASP91 four stroke. It was good, but marginal. A 91 two stroke or a light 120 range four stroke (saito125) would be a better choice. A 1.20 two stroke could be a good choice too I guess, but overkill in my opinion.

Based on this experience, I am sure the 540v2 would be a great plane choice and at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Claude Paradis; 08-20-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Nathan M.

Total Props: 0
Re: Seagull Extra 260-90 and Edge 540-V2-60 3D Capabilities?

I've got a 540 v2 that I converted to electric.
Hyperion zs4035-10/6s 30c 5000mah swinging a 18x10 prop.

It's a nicely built airframe for the money.
Right thrust has to be added at the motor mount though.

Mine does snap out (to the right) under really heavy elevator application, however that tendency was much reduced by pushing the cg back a bit.
It'll do a decent wall, but it tends to drop a wing when doing waterfalls etc. The ailerons aren't large enough to be very effective at countering this at low speeds.
It tumbles well, knife edge spins nicely and does a pancake flat inverted flat spin.
It'll fly quite slow comfortably, but upright harriers do show alot of wing rock.
Knife edge has minimal coupling, though the rudder authority isn't great, no knife edge looping.

All in all, it's a great buy for the money, but it's not an all out 3d aircraft, though it'll perform most 3d stuff.
I've read that the edge 540 v2 60 is a better mannered aircraft than the extra 260-90.
NTM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.