Cleaning 3-way fuel filller valve - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #1

Total Props: 1
Cleaning 3-way fuel filller valve

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've got a fuel filler valve that is basically stuck in the "fill" position. I think its the kwik-fill valve

The 45o is the nipple to the tank. The pin on the right pushes the valve in inside the filler to allow the tank to fill. It is stuck open. There does not appear any way to get the piece inside the filler to close (is stuck open thanks to castor). Having it stuck open prevents fuel from flowing to the engine from the tank.

I assume there is a spring on the under side that pops up when the metal pin is withdrawn.

I'm trying soaking it in glow fuel overnite but there appears to be no way I can access the mechanism inside the valve to "force" that moveable piece up to get it to move freely. I don't think I can use brake cleaner as there is a rubber ring just inside the filler hole that holds the "pin" when fueling.

Do the nipples pull off to allow access to the inner workings? There is nothing to unscrew that I can find.

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 07-16-2009 at 10:48 PM.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
fokker 1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dan M

Total Props: 0
Re: Cleaning 3-way fuel filller valve

Try air pressure at the 90 nipple, might work.
fokker 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

Used to use these things but after numerous problems, among them the same problem you are having, I gave up. I now use the three line system with a fuel dot. Never a problem with ths arrangement.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ray M

Under the valve there is a spring and two o-rings.....sometimes the o-rings swell up from the oil in the fuel and pinch the valve in the "in" position. Usually it can be freed up just by poking it around with a thin pick. When they persist in sticking I regularly rebuild mine with new o-rings from Crappy Tire. Depress the valve and pick out the o-ring with a sharp pin.....stick the pin right into the o-ring and pry it out. The valve and second o-ring will fall out. It's a bit tricky getting the o-rings back in, you need to depress the valve , slip one side of the o-ring into the groove and press the rest of it into place with a wooden stick while holding the valve in. Dont chuck these things away they are great....I have had them in a dozen models for years.

Good luck, Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	55663  
Ray McDougall, Victoria
See my models at:
Raymac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
RCC Contributor

Throw It Out!

A similar valve nearly cost me my GP Patty Wagstaff twice in one day.

During a slow roll, the engine quickly leaned and quit. Kingston has a beautiful, big field, but the bramble at the end is very unforgiving! I only bent my landing gear thank goodness.

I inspected the plane and engine and found nothing wrong. I figured that the pickup line must have got hung up on the filler line in the tank.

So I went up again and did another slow roll only to have exactly the same thing happen. I was really lucky to get on the ground safely twice!

A fellow member suggested that the filler device is junk. I inspected it and found that it had a very slow drip. A slow fuel drip can translate into a very fast air leak when the engine is running. Some quick ground tests confirmed this was the problem.

I got fuel dots instead and they work fine.

If you're not part of the solution... you may be insoluble!
jpmodels is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

The proper, permanent fix is to throw it into the trash.

They either stick in the fueling position, thereby cutting off the fuiel supply to the engine or leak air when the run position, thereby casuing an excessively lean run and flame out. These conditions develop very early in their lives.

Found that out whent hey first arrived on the scene about 20 years ago. Have not used one since. Nothing but problems about to happen. A great idea that failed in practice and was never corrected.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #7

From what I've been able to find, the "throw it out" crowd wins this debate. The most common issue is what has happened: the valve sticks.

One part I found is the slimline filler. But at $30+, it's a very expensive solution for an extremely simple issue.

Swami says: I see a "T" and a dot are in my future.

Thanks very much for all your input.

PS: part of my searching for a solution led me to "sonic" cleaners. Primarily (I believe) for jewelry cleaning, they sell from around $30 to $150 or more. Then there's the liquid/powder that goes in them. Gets pricey for what I want to do.

We all try to save a few bucks in trying not to replace a plugged/dirty item.

So many times we are penny wise and pound foolish. K.I.S.S. is a good motto to live by.

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 07-17-2009 at 12:25 PM.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.