RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Greg

Total Props: 0
spring start help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a zenoha g38 that has the magneto. I have tried a new plug. I have done the "get the carb as wet as possible first" thing. I just have not been able to get the engine fired up. I'm wondering what i am missing. There is no choke on this engine so that is out of the question.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated as i would like to get this engine going.
Its great when your 3 year old knows the names of all your planes lol
stuntbuddie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1
Re: spring start help

When all else fails, read and follow the instructions. Sometines there are helpful clues there.

When you do read them, you will see that the factory is quite explicit about prop mounting location in relationship to the magnets in the flywheel. It is pointed out that unless this positioning is correct, there is not way that the engine will ever fire.

The reason is quite simple. You must get the spark at the correct time. Otherwise, no go. It makes no difference if you are using a spring starter or hand flipping.

It's also important to realize that the prop must be flipped at sufficient speed to result in the magneto generating an adequate output for an acceptable spark. I have read and heard that a rotation speed equivalent to some 600 rpm is required.

My G62 fires up consistently and reliably with the prop positioned as instructed.

If you do not have the engine manual, why not download it from the Horizon Hobby web site?
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

I had the same problem with my spring started G62 but it wasn't a starting position issue. It was something far more simple.

I had tons of fuel but found intermittant spark. The ignition system is as simple as you can get, so I started working backwards.

My servo activated kill switch was working fine, but the manual kill switch (a parallel circuit) was beginning to weld itself together and grounding the coil intermittently. The previous time out, it was fine.

Actually DO335, I know the manual's comment on initial starting position and it continues to confuse me as to why. Since the ignition system fires near TDC on every upstroke of the piston (2 stroke engine), and the engine always rotates the same way, and the magnets/pickup have a fixed position, what difference could it possibly make? If your starting position was 10 degrees after the initial starting position, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that it would catch the next TDC/firing event, 350 degrees later?

Maybe the comment is meant more for the handstarted engines where it's difficult to get 360 degrees by flipping the prop.

If you know, I'd sure appreciate it if you would fill me in.

BTW, sorry for the highjack....

MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate

Last edited by wymbly1971; 08-06-2009 at 08:27 AM.
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0

Mine start 1 flip after getting wet
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 5

If you take the plug out and put an electric starter on the engine and turn it over, do you get a spark? I find that is an easy way to verify that the ignition system is working ok. If it is, then you can eliminate the ignition.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Michael A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 4

I back that up!
JETMIKE007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.