starting up a 61 SuperTiger - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
starting up a 61 SuperTiger

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello there

I am trying to get a DVII off the ground. It has a Super Tiger- made in Italy it says in the front - 61. It's been the 3rd time around and I can't get the engine to run continuously. (the engine is a little old)
Well, I get the glow-plug ready, choke the engine, open the needle valve 3-4 turns and get the engine to run for over 5-6 seconds, then it sounds weak and then suddenly stops... varying the needle valve setting does not seem to make a difference and the engine always stops after running for a few seconds. Also, moving the throttle once it starts doesn't do much

Fuel seems to be flowing OK up to the point where it stops.

I have the feeling that when installing the throttle servo arms, I could have changed the idle valve setting, does that make a BIG difference??

Is there any way one can check that the pressure from the muffler is successfully pressurizing the fuel?

Any tips/suggestions are quite appreciated

pdr2esmolbra is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: starting up a 61 SuperTiger

I think what is hapening is by opening the high speed needle valve as you say 3-4 turns you are flooding the engine when you start it. I would set the needle valve as per the factory setting and get it to start and run. Then start to adjust the needle valve after the engine running.
aceplant00 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Go down the list in engines about 8 items ".46 quitting when hot" , go to second page near the bottom you will see my answer for initial setup of an engine.

kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

I finally got it running last weekend!
The main reason was that even tough SuperTiger manuals say that they adjusted the idle screw (the recessed screw) during fabrication to be really close to the valid setting. Yet, when I followed this websites advise:
I got to open the idle-needle more than 2 turns, and that did the trick!
I also, just now, read Kip51035's message... that's exactly what I did to fix it, Thanks!

The engine runs quite smoothly now, its actually very loud and more powerful than I thought.

Thanks everyone
pdr2esmolbra is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

Glad to hear it's running better, but just one question....DVII? Albatros?....just wondering ...I'm looking for a bigger Albatros D Va kit or plans...thanx...Bill
Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.