JR7202 Problem??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Konrad
Radio of choice:
JR 11X & JR X9503
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1
JR7202 Problem???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I inadvertantly left my transmitter on and let the battery almost drain. After charging it up I noticed my model 1 was missing and when I tried to go from model 2 down to model 1 the radio froze. Yesterday my friend who has a 7202 had the same problem. In addition when he went to model 20 the radio again froze. I tried the same with mine with the same result. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a remedy or fix?

Your help is appreciated!

Konrad is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Nev

Total Props: 3
Re: JR7202 Problem???

How old is the radio ?
I suspect the internal lithium cell is dead it provides power to the memory if the main battery dies or is removed from the radio. If this is the case you will have lost everything in memory ...all programs models etc.

These cells need to be replaced every +/- 5 years, I know on the older JR radios replacing this cell is also something you can't just do yourself, it has to go back to Horizon and they have to run a sequence of program resets after the new cell is put in and they never used to share this reset sequenece with consumers... the 7202 may be different, not sure give them a call.

If this is the case sorry man - Good luck.
Nev is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

Never had that on any of my JR's. It may not hurt to check the memory backup battery. Inside the radio there will be a lithium backup battery that maintains the programming when the main battery is not installed or running low. If the backup is low it could cause erratic performance.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darryl

Total Props: 0

this sounds almost like what i had but mine would not allow me to model 5. anyways did some digging and the result is on mine i had a thing called MODEL LOCK. i phoned JR and i explained it to them. They told me that it had to be sent down to them to get fixed. did this and all has been good so far.
warhawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

Hi Konrad

I was informed last night that it is youre lithium battery that is weak . I have a 7202 and have never had any problems with it . I have left my transmitter on at least once , and have never had the problems that you are haveing .

Interrested to know how this works out for you .

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Konrad
Radio of choice:
JR 11X & JR X9503
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1

Thanks to all for the input! I have had no other issues other than the Model 1 and 20 problem.
Konrad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mark F

Total Props: 0

The older radios had an extra battery to maintain settings memory but since the invent. of flash memory no lithium battery needed.
This is a common problem with the 7202 and will cost $$ to have it fixed(reset and re-calibrated) at the factory. 3 out of 3 at our club have the problem and we just avoid trying to use those model memorys, but one of the radios can only use 2 of the 20 models.
I found how to get to the special settings screens(power up and select model reset screen, then toggle the aileron dual rate up and down 5 times while alternately pressing increase and decrease till it jumps into the screen), but when I selected the clear option I couldn't get the memory to clear. It flashes a message to power off and wait for the LCD to clear, but when I power back up the radio is the same. I realize I will have to recalibrate the joy sticks and bat meter but I am willing to try it, as the 72Mhz radio is not really worth the money(50$+) to send back. What guarantee would I have anyway that it wouldn't screw up again anyway. If anyone has figured out how to clear out the memory(and get the radio working properly) please let me know. I am sure the other 2 guys will also appreciate the info. Sending it back takes over a month with the cross border customs hassles these days and its still flying season. Since the DX7 shares the same s/w I wonder if any of these will experience the problem. JR has kept a low profile with this one I'm sure to avoid backlash but I have googled and found a lot of others reporting the prob.
MarkF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I have 2 7202's and havent had this problem (yet)

I too suspect the backup-battery has died.

I have had problems with other older JR radios when their internal backup batteries died. A real PITA. I replaced them all myself as the need arose.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.