RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Rob.F

Total Props: 0
New here

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hi i'm new to this site . hello everbody
i'm thinking of getting into flying so i will have lots of questions for all of you.
now i do have lots of rc's just not the ones that can stay in the air . well my trucks fly but not long enough so need to add a plane???????
thinking of getting into flying ?????????
looking at the hobbyzone super cub LT.
sounds like a good plane for the price?
bigbear is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 13
Re: New here

if it's your first time flying get a big trainer and join a club (cubs are short couppled tail dragers ,not the best for trainers ).a simulator is also a good idea to help you along.welcome & have fun Roger
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
always flying
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Manny H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 8

Welcome!'ll find all your answer's and more from this site!

My first plane not long ago was a hobbico nextstar,came with it's own simulater and was an easy flyer. Like the above post join a club!...most want to help newbies.

Pour me another One!
FUTABA 14MZ Yeah Buddy!!
GP123cc Beast Mode All Day All Day!
always flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

Visit your local flying club, you'll find lots of assistance and recommendations. Purchase and practice on a SIM; it will go a long way in terms of cost and stick experience.

Above all, have fun...

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance...
All for One, One for All...

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

I learned to fly on a 3 CH trainer in the 1970's. My time lasted only 2 years as I really couldn't afford it being I was in my teens.

When I returned to the hobby 4 years ago, I bought a NexStar and Solo'd again in 2 weekends.

Take the time to find a club, solicit their instructors, use a simulator, and have a blast.

I guess I forgot to say it:
"Welcome to Our World"...
Marc Gendron - President of the Quinapoxet Model Flyers Club, AMA Club #1019 Massachusetts
Canamflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Derrick R

There are a few clubs around the Ajax area.
Check out:
MAAC #41076
Derrick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
RCC Contributor
I am: Stephen M

Total Props: 1

Welcome to your new addiction Bigbear! Seriously here is my take.

Step 1 get out and check out all the local clubs. Try and meet or watch who the instructors are. Make it to meetings. See how the clubs work and what the feeling is around the fields at the times you figure you would be out. Are you greeted warmly or is everybody standoffish and not helpful? Do club meetings degenerate into bickering or are there good vibes and info passed on? The cheapest club may not be any deal if there is no help for newcommers.

Step 2 get a feel for the instructors and try to meet and chose one you can work with. Do they take care of their own equipment as well as the student's? Will they help setting up your plane, give advice etc?

Step 3 Based on your chosen instructor's advice on what they feel comfortable with choose your trainer, radio equipment etc. Most guys get the plane first then present it to their instructor who may not be familiar with the equipment or feel it is unsuitable for their style of flying or the flying field.

Now for a little personal thoughts.

Unless you are planning on indoor flying only get a good size (.40 cu in glow usually 60" span) conventional trainer. They handle wind (you WILL fly in wind) better and tend to be more durable.

You can go electric right from the start. Most clubs have some electric fliers and many of us are instructors. There is even an excellent electric only club in the eastern GTA. Up front costs are usually higher but you will spend similar ammounts going glow by the end of the first year or two. If interested PM me and I will fill you in more.

Expect to spend at least $500 getting started. If lucky you can do it for less but usually going cheap leads to further issues which will cost in the end. Realistically you can/will spend up to $1000 in the first couple of years. Usually getting another plane or two, upgrading equipment and consumables such as glow fuel or batteries, etc.

Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Also it's getting late in the season so find out when the wings programs at your local clubs end this year. Doesn't mean you won't fly but they may not have specific times set aside after a particular date. Also there may be some cost savings after labour day.

I would suggest stopping by some of the local clubs and see if you can get in a "sample" flight with a plane at the club. Best way to experience a flight and see if this is something you want to give a go at. It'll also give you a chance to get some questions in and see the type of folks at the particular clubs to see where the best fit for you may be.

Just remember it is addicting
Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

I think everyone else covered all the important points so I'll just say "Welcome to the addiction"

My advice. Buy second hand if you can.

Have fun. George
I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
RCC Noob
I am: Rob.F

wow thanks guys . so i guess a super cub lp would not be a good idea? i have used flight sims before and have a few flight games i know that a game controller is not the same but ps2 and ps3 controller are close with there to sticks. well it looks that i will have to weight i don't think i can muster a $500 plane i was hopeing to get in to the hobby with as little as posable as my rc bikes,cars and boats have draned me this summer i will have to keep an eye out over the winter . how do the planes fly in the winter as the cold wont stop me i run my rc's all winter last year i ran my boat down by the lake it was cold but man it was weird . you can get skis for the planes? well thanks guys i will be looking at the clubs near me and the classified.
thinking of getting into flying ?????????
looking at the hobbyzone super cub LT.
sounds like a good plane for the price?
bigbear is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.