Buying glider without transmitter + receiver - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
paul borga
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Paul B.
Radio of choice:
futaba 9cap, futaba 7c, futaba T6XA

Total Props: 0
Buying glider without transmitter + receiver

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello there,
I'm considering purchasing a used electric glider and was wondering if I would be able to use my 6 channel fm futaba radio that I use on my nitro planes....could I just pick up a receiver that's made for gliders and a couple of crystals or would I be looking at buying another transmitter?....thanks
paul borga is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Re: Buying glider without transmitter + receiver

The only consideration is weight. If you need a really light receiver, you might want to get a light weight one, 4 channel would usualyy be sufficient. I use my standard Futaba Receivers in both my sail planes, and most "glider guiders" that I am aware of do so also. The transmitter has no way of knowing whether it is controlling a sailplane or a glow powered plane.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Buying glider without transmitter + receiver

That's correct. The controls on the glider should be the same as a conventional powered model unless you get into "Mixing", such as that used in a heli or a delta aircraft. This mixing is done in the transmitter and as long as you select ACRO or GLIDER in the Futaba programming, (if it has that capability) you should see the controls work correctly.

As I mentioned, Futaba uses Negative Shift, which eliminates receivers such as Airtronics or JR. However, ESKY, GWS and others will work, along with those that have "Select" or "Auto" shift, such as Berg or Corona, and in fact I've run a few aircraft this way. As long as the transmitter and receiver talk to one another, which for Futaba is "Negative Shift", you should be fine.

An important consideration is distance away you intent to fly the aircraft, as some radio systems, or their components, are considered "Park Flyer" models and designed to work within a restricted area. I use the R146iP in all of my helis, and though it is listed as having a range of only 300M, (1000') that's more than I'll ever need in that regard.

The other factor is in the transmission mode. If your transmitter has PPM/PCM capability, unless you use a true Futaba receiver, you will have to select PPM mode as anything but a legacy receiver will not be able to understand the Futaba PCM signal coding.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.