Another newbie - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
helikopter girl
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Another newbie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Folks,

I'm a middle-aged professional who works in electronics. I have always been fascinated by tech toys and have also always wanted to learn how to fly RC. About a month ago, I splurged on one of those little styro helis and strived mightily for a few hours to try to make it fly, until the pin someone told me to stick in the nose punctured the battery when it hit the wall and that was that. Guess I should have known better. . .

Undaunted, I went back and spent a little more this time on a Blade mCX S300 Schweizer. After about 4 hrs of accumulated practice, I'm thrilled to say I can fly it without crashing! Even do some simple tricks like nose-in circles, figure 8's and fairly smooth landings. I like it!

Sigh, I can tell this is going to get expensive. . . now I have gone and purchased the RealFlight sim and someone has told me to practice for about 200 hours. This is going to take all winter! What I have my heart set on is to buy a T-Rex 500 CF kit, build it, get a transmitter (Spektrum D6i perhaps) and move outdoors. . . perhaps some day even go inverted. Yikes!

Anyway, I made my own airfield in the sim (no large obstacles) and just practice hovering tail-in. When I turn sideways or nose-in, my brain and thumbs get all confused. I know, maybe I should have tried RC cars or planes first, but I really only want to fly helis. I'm somewhat ambidextrous so I thought this might help, but so far my dumb thumbs are all that!

So, enough rambling. Any helps, hints or suggestions are gratefully appreciated and I hope y'all don't mind if I chime in once in a while to report my progress (or lack thereof) or any silly questions I might have. So many part names, gear ratios and thumb-calming exercises. . . whoosh!

Gotta go, my batteries are charged.

helikopter girl
helikopter girl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62
Re: Another newbie

Good for you......welcome to the sight

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6

Welcome Helikopter Girl,

The sim is a very good learning tool, especially with winter coming in the near future.
The picco Z heli is fun for the living room, but probably won't teach you very much
other than throttle management. You may want to search on the Trex 450 series
before moving into the Trex 500...a lot of clones are cheap now such as CopterX,
HK450,Flasher 450 etc.. Buy two matching Outrage 2200 Lipo batteries 30C discharge
rate and use them in the TRex 500 later in series.

cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 3

Welcome to the addiction...

Originally Posted by helikopter girl View Post
When I turn sideways or nose-in, my brain and thumbs get all confused.

Your thumbs need to learn what to do based on what your eyes are telling them - without your brain interfering. It does come, with practice, but even then I sometimes feel my brain trying to get involved while flying, and I consciously have to stop thinking...(does that even make sense)?

Take your time. Fly at your own pace, and don't get talked into trying things outside your comfort zone. Your personal comfort zone will expand on it's own.

Have fun.

Hespeler Model Aviators

This is my helicopter. There are many like it but, this one is mine.
MarkToo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

That's great, I find that flying helis is the most exciting of the RC world.

Practice, practice, practice. If you really want a trainer heli because you can't help yourself then look at a fixed pitch 300 size electric. You can usually find them RTF for $150 or so.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

Keep practicing on the SIM; it will save you lots of money and will build your confidence!

The mCX is good to get started. Move to a co-axial and with practice you should be ready for a CCPM helicopter with training balls.

Take it slow, have fun, ask questions. If possible, find someone with experience close to you to go over the finer points of setting up a helicopter and you should be good to go when your pick up your TREX 500!

If you are going to stay with this hobby for the long haul, think about spending the time to research and spend the money on a good radio and equipment. The DX7 would be a choice over the DX6; my opinion!

Good luck and have fun,

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance...
All for One, One for All...

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dav A

play computer games or even Xbox or playstation. the hand eye corrdination work out is great for RC stuff.
Gotta love it when a plane comes together
dastallen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Naomi SL

You go girl.. . As some one said welcome to the addiction.
Click here to fill in your LOCATION!! in you profile

Reccession Hurts? Click here to vote

(\__/) (\__/)
(='.'=) (='.'=)
(")_(") (")_(")

Vital Stats:
Started R/C Airplane since 1975
Started R/C Helicopter since 2001
Heli_Gal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 13

I don't see any reason why you would not go to the 450 now seems like your a natural.I learned on one ,helis are very easy to learn and bigger fly better , you only have to take it as far as your comfort level allows .start tail in and slowly go from side to side then forward and back then start to rotate a little more as you feel able ,don't forget the trainer gear .it just takes time .good luck & have fun Roger
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

This is a good one to start out with with training wheels on it. Very stable,very tough and the parts are a reasonable price. Can be completely outfited at HK for about $150 to $175 bucks less the radio. I'd go with the DX7 over the 6i also. To many recalls and problems with it. Good website to educate yourself is called Helifreak. If interested, holler I I'll tell you what you need at HK.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.