Old 08-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Re: HomeMade Jet engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
You also may want to try rcgroups.com, rcuniverse.com ... many more modelers on those sites.
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0

I have built the KJ66 and it is not an easy task unless you have the right equipment. Your problem is going to be the 66mm turbine as they are very scarce. Wren used to have them but quit making them several years ago and I do not know if anybody is carrying them now. I need a turbine for myself and if somebody has a 66 I would also be interested.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: Stephen M

Total Props: 1

Well I know a guy who has done it. Started with absolute nothing but an existing design (JPX). The original is made of aluminum and stainless steel. He built his from magnesium and titanium. Weighed 1 lb less. Even built a titanium propane fuel tank (the JPX used propane). Reverse engineered the whole thing then debugged issues like bearings and differential expansion of materials. Couldn't interest him in calculating the expansion issues, he just kept making new parts with different fits until it all ran like a charm.

Then he started with his own designs. Same thing, just thinks them up, builds, debugs and they work. So far has a 35 lb, 6 lb micro, 55 lb thrust 'core' engine and a two spool turbofan of undisclosed thrust.

Now he has never cracked a book on turbine design or combustion theory. I know cause I have bought some for him. They still sit on my shelf. He has opened up lots of engines, and talked to lots of designers/other geniuses but the designs are all his own.

As for tools all he uses is a very high quality NON CNC lathe, mill and home made EDM and balancer. Look into EDMing and consider each side of a 30 odd blade turbine wheel consumes about 7 electrodes per blade. Got the blade angle not quite right? EDM up another and test. Remember each EDM electrode is hand made and burned out by use. Machining high nickle alloys is not an option for these wheels. Casting? Know anything about vacuumn casting aerospace alloys then subjecting them to hot isostatic pressing? Look into it, we have, and EDMing does start to make sense on these limited production runs.

Well if you are one of the top dozen turbine designers in the world and can match it with absolute genius level of skill in machining, testing, de-bugging and re-machining go for it. Frankly even he started with an existing design and went from there. If you have to do it ALL yourself the Shrekerling FD would be a great place to start. The only things you can buy are the bearings. All the others use existing turbo charger (not supercharger sorry Bruce) components heavily modified as a start.

If you want to see what unbelievable stuff he has done look up Pegasus on RCUniverse. Go deep enough and it will blow your mind. See the 'Hot Spec' and the turbine killer bee, especially the turbo prop version. Check out You tube videos on the bee.

Good luck, meant as sincere, it can and has been done but it is a long hard slog even for the genius.

Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #14
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2

Hi ; Check out Traplet Publications in England.

They sell a book by Dr. K. Schrekling ( spelling ?) that shows you how to build a simple small turbine from street available parts.

You will have to buy the electronic controller though , FADEC ( Full Authority Digital Engine Control).

There are turbine kits out there as well.

Good luck.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: cliff l
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

There's a guy making all the parts for the kj66 turbine and he sells them on ebay. Not to sure about quality control .
Cliff is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
RCC Noob

Ok, i read all u wrote.
And i wand start with the most "simple" jet engine to build=pulse.
Well, if you describe/write the list of the parts , your welcome!!
pedfoot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Dale I

Very cool man, very cool. I can't help you out but man, its good to see a guy wanting to learn from the ground up. Good luck.

Hey Buddy, thats a Kadet not an Extra!!!
Dig it is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 AM   #18
RCC Noob

Does anyone has CADs??
pedfoot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by pedfoot View Post
Does anyone has CADs??
Try http://reviews.ebay.com/What-about-P...00000002108447

this is a starting point.

There are poeple who sell pirated copies of designs for these on eBay, but if you're going to make your own, the hard part of the design is the valve that regulates the airflow into the burn chamber. Works like a one-way flap as the ignition of the air-fuel mixture will force it closed until the burned gases pass out ofthe burn chamber and the cacuum draws in a fresh charge.

A pulse-jet engine is essenstially a pure two-cycle motor in a tube.

Speaking of which, here's a pulse-jet forum

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.