Modifying Lipo Batteries - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4
Modifying Lipo Batteries

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

As a prelude, let me say, pls. treat this as a hypothetical question. I am very aware of the dangers of lipos bursting into flames & am not about to attempt what I am asking for information on - just want to know if it is feasible.

I have a 4S lipo which has one bad cell. 3 cells charge to full capacity/voltage - 4.20 volts but the fourth only charges to 3.95 volts no matter how many times I try discharging & recharging. What I want to know is whether it is possible to remove the bad cell & create a 3S pack. Looking at a diagram of how the 4S is put together, it seems theoretically straightforward. However, what are the practical aspects? Is it possible to unsolder/resolder connections without destroying the cells due to heat applied? I understand the + and - terminals of the cells are very close together. Is it feasible to unsolder/resolder without shorting them?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any info. you can provide.

rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Modifying Lipo Batteries

I've heard of it done it before, took a 6S pack and converted to 2 x 3S. As with soldering any batteries the shorter the time it takes the better which is why you need a very hot soldering iron. Remember you have to change out the balance taps to one for 3S as well.

Check youtube I think there are videos on how to do it.

Last edited by waylander; 09-07-2009 at 02:27 AM.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: Modifying Lipo Batteries

You could try to find someone with maybe a better charger. Not sure what you are using for one. Also you make no mention of balancing. Maybe you can try it as well.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.