Seamaster ? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Seamaster ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I recently acquired a seamaster, does anyone have some time on one of these. What should I look for? Does it require any mods? Does it have any weak spots? How about the bottom, should it be epoxied? Does it need added bracing? I would really appreciate your help.

kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jason H

Total Props: 1
Re: Seamaster ?

I would start by throwing out the nylon connecting rods, or at least epoxy them together. Seal the radio compartment with diluted epoxy and also silicone the wing saddle. The easiest way to do that is by running a bead of silicone down the wing saddle and wrapping the wing in saran wrap and put it in place until the silicone sets. Also find some heavy duty velcro for the floats or epoxy them on.
Jason Holdaway

In theory, everything works.
Patch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jason H

Total Props: 1

I knew I posted on this before. here is my posts from another site:

I don't think you really need anything else. If I were to build mine over again, I wouldn't have used the plastic rods that came with it. I epoxied my hinges. Make sure you pin them too! I had to "drill" with a precision screwdriver in the middle of nowhere and whittle down a stick to pin my rudder. Use diluted epoxy to seal up the radio compartment. make a silicone wing saddle, otherwise water will get in it. reseal/epoxy the tail section of the plane before attaching the rudder. mine had a big leak there. I also resealed all the monocote overlaps with clear nailpolish (make sure it's not acetone based)

thanks for the great tips!!! what do you use for pins in the hinges? what size prop do you use for a .46? "

I use those round toothpicks. The hinges I got were plastic with the holes already through them. I like a MA 11x5 the best on my TT Pro .46. It will get you off the water pretty quick. A couple of things I forgot: If you insist on using the velcro to hold the floats on, don't use the stuff that comes with it, and use a lot of it!! I was working afternoons and was leaving for cottage country the next morning. Test flying after I put all my gear back in it (had it out for one of my combat planes) test flew on a small local pond, could only take off in a strong cross wind, skipped on takeoff, lost a float........when you land with one float, do not get off the step, keep your speed up or you will make a very quick U turn! Couldn't retrieve my float because it blew to the other side of the pond that was edged with an electric fence. Was up until 2AM after work making a new one. I never put on the bottom keel either. that way you can skip around on the water (also a good way to lose a float) to make the wing sadlle, I wrap the center of the wing with saran wrap, run a very small bead of silicone on the wing saddle, bolt the wing on and then caulk all the way around it, then let it dry. Makes a perfect seal. The Seamaster will also handle 2-3 foot waves, with my engine/prop. Good luck!
Jason Holdaway

In theory, everything works.
Patch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

I'm currently in the process of resurrecting mine after hiding it, (most recently beside my desk in my office) for over 20+ years. Powered with a Fox 50 and it would rip off the water. Loved the quick-change main gear installation and have tried to mimic it on some of the other projects.

Don't know of the references made earlier, but I found the cable type elevator control more than adequate and had the floats that attached with the nylon "L" brackets. Never lost one. All my models used the more thermally stable version nyrods, so never had any trim problems. As for sealing the radio/servo compartment, I used the thin adhesive foam seal and never found water in there. I also did waterproof the entire airframe.

As for weaknesses, the one thing I did notice while pulling the covering off was the horizontal tail seemed a bit wimpier than I remembered. Intend on adding some C/F strips to make it a bit more rigid.

Only real pointer I can make is to keep the weight down. I had silk and doped mine, then primed and painted it. Way too heavy and it had a tendency to drop a wing in a high-speed stall. Finally dunked it and tore the covering.

Weighed it as I worked my way down to the wood and the plane lost over 2 pounds!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DigitalCameraTransfer 674.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	61383  

Last edited by Cougar429; 10-18-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Cougar429 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.