Model Aircraft location relative to Commercial Airport - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
Re: Model Aircraft location relative to Commercial Airport

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Everybody has a lot of opinions on this subject and few facts are ever presented. Our club,HMA, is within 3 miles of the local airport and we have existed well for over 13 years. A couple years ago we had a couple "incidents" the were reported to DOT. I was involved in a number of personal meetings with the DOT over resolving these incidents. They can shut you down! They aren't that hard to get along with, it's all about safety.

It doesn't matter how close or how far you are away as long as you fly safely. They can shut you down no matter where you are if there is a "ongoing hazard" to air traffic. We ended up banning IMAC style flying at our club as they were flying too high, too often. Our problem ended with airport incidents. Another myth is how high a full scale plane has to fly. We had one incident where the full scale pilot was 400' above grade. We questioned the DOT about that and were told," and he has every right to be there", and there was no discussion allowed about full scale height.

The Cambridge float flyers was started 5 years ago. I was one of the founders. We are within 2 miles of the local airport. We advised them what we intended to do, had a bunch of correspondence, meetings etc and it was a go. We fly on city property and lease a pond. It all had to be cleared and actually went through city council. Initially we had to phone the local tower when we started flying or ended flying. Two years ago they told us we didn't have to call them anymore, as we respected the air space and we were no problem to get along with.

It's about getting along with all your neighbours. It's best to be up front about everything and if you suspect or get "renegade" flyers in your club, just have a zero tolerance rule.(and enforce it)
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.

Last edited by JKovats; 10-21-2009 at 10:47 PM.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #12
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

Try adopting TC's Safety Management System (SMS). Thatís the new way to play safe. Then you are basically self-governed because all they care about is wether SMS is working or not.
pw120 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5

Our field is close to our local Airport. When MAAC sent out a notice to all clubs some years ago informing of the 5 mile rule, I had a meeting with the Air Port manager. The 5 mile rule basically stated that a MAAC club had to have permission from the local Air Port authority if their flying field was located within a 5 mile radius of the Air Port. (or something like that) As stated in several of the responses, the local people are not difficult to deal with. After about a 20 minute meeting in which we traded flying stories, the mgr. wrote a letter giving us permission to fly. We have never had a problem period in over 30 years but ours is a small private/closed club. We enjoy watching the full sized planes between our flights and especially when the War Birds fly. The Lancaster is something to see as are the many other planes from the Hamilton Canadian War Birds museum. If in the area, a trip to this museum is worth the effort. . . Cheers
Ancaster Sport Flyer... "your attitude affects your altitude!"

Last edited by JohnM; 10-22-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: grammar
JohnM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Frank J.
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

Total Props: 0

Currently, the only mention I can find of restrictions to model aircraft is CAR 602.45, which states: "No person shall fly a model aircraft or a kite or launch a model rocket or a rocket of a type used in a fireworks display into cloud or in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety."

So in the end, the question is "What is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety"? There's the catch-all that the lawyers will fight over if anything ever happens.

You can read the CARs (Civil Aviation Regulations) Part VI here: Where you will find other gems, like the fact that it is illegal for anybody to enter an aircraft in flight without the permission of the pilot. "Knock knock, can I come in off the wing now? It's cold out here at 350kts and 32,000ft"
From the manual of Air Traffic Control - Definitons: "Separation is that condition which exists when two or more aircraft fail to collide."
MAAC 23372

Last edited by vonJaerschky; 10-22-2009 at 05:27 PM.
vonJaerschky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Roderick M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1

Thanks for all ot the advice people. I have contacted the local airport authority, MAAC & our Zone director. Hopefully they will all see the positive benefits of a model flying field!
Rod is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.