Covering underchambered wings - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Lorne B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
Cool Covering underchambered wings

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Looking for some fool proof ideas on covering a under chambered wing. This is a 120" span craft with a chord of 16 ".( Bellanca Skyrocket) I planned on using Ultra coat or 21 st Century fabric. Not sure if the Ultra coat, being plastic, will do the job. Would it be enough to use a couple coats of Balsa rite and rely on the adhesive of the covering to hold?
May even have to go to Solartex and stiching. I have been unable to find stitching proceedure for models.
Any input will be appreciated.
bear57 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62
Re: Covering underchambered wings

One coat of Balsarite film formula will do the trick just fine.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

This can be done with or without an additional adhesive for the fabric or plastic. Those that have no adhesive of course will need some to make the medium adhere to the under camber. Best to test on a small portion of your wing before starting.

I have found only one way that consistently works for me. Start in the middle of the under camber and slowly work your way to the edges. Cap strips give the greatest area for adhesion and you must make sure the covering is firmly and completely attached to the ribs or cap strips before starting to seal any edges. Once I have sealed the ribs/cap strips of the open bays then I will start to seal to the leading edge and trailing edge sheeting in the same manner as before. Working from the center out. You do not need to stretch the medium taut you just need to keep the slack to a minimum. After the medium is attached to all the wood the only thing left to shrink are the open bays. Do not use a heat gun as this will soften the glue on the wood and it may detach ruining the under camber. Instead use an iron and carefully shrink the medium between the ribs until tight. Do not use any heat where ever the medium is attached to the wood as it may release. You may have to do this a few times to get all the small wrinkles out especially in corners but take your time and everything will work out.

If you do the bottom of the wing first it is easier to fix any mistakes I have even been told that once the bottom is done some have run a small bit of thin ca where the edges of the rib and fabric meet as extra insurance against detachment. I have not had to do this so I cannot speak from experience.

I know that once the covering has been shrunk and detaches on an under camber it is extremely difficult to get it back in place. I might give the ca a try in this case. In the past I found it easier in the long run to cut it out and reapply the patch in the same manner as the original application.

Hope this info is helpful

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Lorne B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0

Dennis, Bill, thanks for the great advice. I had formed a basic "mental picture" of doing the job similar to what Dennis describes. However, it is always nice to have someone with first hand experience come forth. Good information!
The CA idea is a great idea. I had not thought of it and I think I will give it a try.
bear57 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.