Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Kevin
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
2 Stroke Oil??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys,

I am about to run my first DL30 Gas motor and have never owned a gasser before. After reading many forums on the topic, is there a particular 2 stroke oil that is better than any others? Some say use ashless, some not, some say synthetic, others not. Quite confusing.....

Seems that the most common concensus that that Stihl 2 stroke chainsaw oil is the best and Lanwnboy Ashless is the worst! I have no idea

Also, some suggest running it in using a 18x8 prop. I only have a 19x8 which is the suggeted on to use once break-in is complete. Is it Okay to use the 19x8 for break in as well?

It was suggested that I change the standard plug which I have done. Any other suggestions would be great.

Please help me to decide. I know that lots of you have much experience and I really want to get this right the first time.

NewGuy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Neil T

Talking Re: 2 Stroke Oil??

Hey Buddy,

I am running in a DLE 30 outside right now, guess what

NGK CM6 Plug
Sthil Premium Oil (Mineral based) 25:1
18X8 prop

On the 6th hour, idles at 2000 no sweat, can get down to 18-1900

Just put Fuel Through it, you'll be good.
Living in Oromocto, New Brunswick
airworks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8
Re: 2 Stroke Oil??

Ya ................ there is always a problem of listening to to many people .

But here there both right , use ahles sfor the first couple of gallons and than go to a synthetic . The problem with the Sthil is that , this chain saw oil is made to work at very high RPM , and really work . All you need is good lubrification . IMHO , stay away from 100:1 and keep youre mix at 40:1 ( minimum ) with a synthetic oil mix , after break-in . Think of the KISS system . Personally .............. I,ve heard Belray is about the best you can get , and I,ve heard it several times over , although I use RedLine

2 cents

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

What Club do you belong to? Might be some gas heads in the club that could help.

If the DL30 is like my DLE55 then breakin should be with 32:1 mix and definitely an ashless mineral oil. I have no experience with the Stihl brand but have brokin in about 1/2 a dozen gassers ALWAYS with LawnBoy and never had a prroblem.

5 gals minimum for breakin to seat that ring nicely. After breakin a good Synthetic oil at 40:1 is what the 55 calls for but it should be in your manual. I am using Motul 50:1 mix, mixed at 40:1 on the DLE55 this past season with good results.

For my DAs I like to use 100:1 Amsoil, as they recomend. You could use Amsoil as well but look for their 50:1 mix which i think they call Interceptor and mix at 40:1 or 32:1 if you like. Again the DL30 may recomend different oil contents. To high of an oil content will only buildup carbon on the top of the piston and in the plug.

I'll asy it again, like I do to ALL my customers... RTFM.... Read the Freakin Manual and do as the manufacture recomends, they no best over a bunch of engine guru wanabees on RC Forums!

As for props AGAIN if manufacture recomends 18x8 the BUY an 18x8... Don't cheapout on $30.0 for another prop just to ruin a $400.00 engine. To much of a load will overheat the engine.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Anthony
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

You are going to get a lot of different opinions on which oils to run and what mix to run at. Main thing is to tune the engine right at the start (don't have it run rich, it is not a glow engine). Never run it lean. I have used Amsoil Dominator at 40:1 and 50:1, used Lucas oil at 40:1 and Yamalube at 40:1. From the above 3 oils I used, I prefer the Yamalube, it runs cooler than the other two and easy to get. I will be looking into my engines soon to see what they are like after running the Yamalube for most of this season (after switching from Amsoil after about 15 gals). I am interested to see what a local flyer here that started using the Redline oil about 2 months ago, so far he like the results (he was using Penzoil air cooled oil). Also interested in the Stihl oil, seems like good things are said by those using it. Maybe I will try that oil next season. Best thing is to never mix thinner than 40:1 (cost me some repairs). For break in's, I used what ever oil I was running at the time but mixed it at 32:1 for the first 5 gals. A local flyer here broke one in on lawnboy and then others on regular oil, he did not see any benefit on breaking in with the lawnboy so now only breaks in with the regular oil he is going to run with but mixed at the 32:1 for the first few gals. He also tunes it correctly right from the start (no rich settings).

MAAC#78933 IMAC#5720
PAU Edge 540 36%
JTec Extra 330 42%
C-arf Yak 55sp 2.8m
2 - Thunder Tiger Raptor 50 v2's (FBL)
Hobbico NexStar
and a few smaller stuff.
Oilsands is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
RCC Contributor
Radio of choice:

Thanks gents,

Seems from the feedback that almost any commercial grade will work. I see that the most important issue is mixing the right ratios. I have not read anything that says specifically NOT to use a particlar brand. The manual says absolutely nothing about this.

Thanks to all that replied and please keep them coming.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Steven Dew
RCC Contributor
I am: Steven Dew
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

This a issue that I am still wrestling with. D/A tells me to go with Amsoil at 100:1, but I am somewhat uncomfortable with this ratio. I have selected Amsoil Sabre Professional, which will allow me ratios from 40:1 to 100:1. Haven't decided what ratio to go with, but 80:1 maybe where I will start. I have attached a document that I found on the net. Seems like it is directed a Aircraft engines. Interesting reading. Sorry Had to zip the file to get it to upload. It is a pdf, but the file size was to large to allow upload as pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Oil Tests for Airplanes Summary.zip (144.1 KB, 92 views)

MAAC #23584L
IMAC #4335
Past President Soo Modellers

Last edited by Steven Dew; 10-27-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Steven Dew is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
RCC Contributor
Radio of choice:

Thanks again guys for your input - and thanks Steven for your attachment - really interesting stuff. From that, seems that the Belray is the winner for me anyway. Interesting that it is the only oil that lubricates only, but does not actually ignite - therefore usese a little more fuel, but little or no carbon is produced as a bi-product. Very Interesting!
This guy who produced the article seems to have delivered an unbiased and very detailed and useful report. Great find.

Last edited by NewGuy; 10-29-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #9

Total Props: 1

Were you able to find Bel-ray? Where?
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
RCC Apprentice

You can find Bel-Ray (MC-1) at most motorcycle shops...
HornetFitter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.