Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Re: Ending an Era?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by michel gravelle View Post
A lot of guys are useing water base polyurathane it works great , as well , and much less expensive , and cleans up easly

That would be Stitts Aircraft finishes, again full scale stuff but they use to ssell smaller quantitities for modellers.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by scaleguy View Post
That would be Stitts Aircraft finishes, again full scale stuff but they use to ssell smaller quantitities for modellers.
Stits is very easy to use and the finish will out last any model it is used on. You can even clean it with bleach and it does not affect the finish. If and when the paint gets a little off they make a rejuvenator that brings it back to near new. Also the Stits fabric is far better than anything used in the model industry. Once shrunk tight it does not get slack again it is extremely stable at this point.

That being said there are a few things you must take into consideration. First it is so strong and shrinks so much you can distort or even crush some of the more delicate construction in the models. You have to take care to shrink it evenly over the whole structure. It is not self or heat activated adhesive wise so you must use their adhesive and fix it to the structure much the same as the Coverall. The adhesive done right is good for about a 300 mph prop blast so unlike model coverings itís going to be tougher to get off. If you exceed the shrink temperature it will actually elongate and get saggy again and is not reshrinkable so you will need a good thermometer to calibrate your irons. You cannot use a heat gun the temp is to high and elongation may occur. The biggest deterrent is the solvents used. This is a vinyl paint and the solvents are ketone based and it is highly recommended that a fresh air respirator be used or at the very leased an open or highly vented area.

On thing to note is I have used this paint over other cloth systems with varying success. The solvents are so strong in this paint it may loosen the adhesive used to fix other fabrics in place. It is best to use the adhesive supplied by Stits if you intend to use their paint.

I have used it a few times and in my own opinion it is the only system to use for fabric covered models of a decent size. If the model is too small this system is just too heavy.

These are some examples of the sizes that Stits has been used on:

The Bristol M1C is one of mine:

Last edited by PurgatorY; 11-08-2009 at 07:31 AM.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc View Post
Yep, still shows as being a current product in Sig's catalogue.

Your hobby shop just doesn't want to carry it.

Its the dangerous goods issue, having it shipped in will cost hundreds of dollars. for the quantities brought in, it's just not worth it.

I have access to something similar from the UK but the costs would be out of this world for just a few sales.
Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: rob z

Total Props: 0

Brodak make a very good quality dope. Great Hobbies carry both Sig and Brodak dope.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.