Canopy adhesive ?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Kevin C

Total Props: 0
Canopy adhesive ??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Of all the challenges we must face to construct a fine looking model, I have never really been satisfied with my attempts at installing the canopy.

Recently I stuck one on with clear RT silicon, not a pretty picture, but I was desperate.

I am looking for the best possibility, what adhesive is the best.

What looks good , is fuel proof and actually adheres to the plastic.

This will be a typical methanol fuel engine installation.

How about Polyurethane, this is one of my favorites in construction, used extensively in the marine industry, names like Sikaflex, 3M are common.

I have never tried Polyurethane on a model.

I once used it to glue a steel plate on the side of a cracked 5000 HP diesel base pan, it lasted one year before it leaked, tough stuff when set up.

I am soon to finish an old Cloud dancer, I want the canopy to look good.

I look fwd to your suggestions.
Barnroof is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Steven P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Re: Canopy adhesive ??

Try RC56. It's available at most hobby shops. Goes on white and dries clear. It stays a bit "rubbery". But I like it.

MAAC# 59431
Jet crazy and heli crazy and nitro crazy or just plane crazy.
JetCrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

Sorry for youre fustration . I always use silicone . The bathroom type ( bought at the dollar store ). I use it very spareingly , and I always prepare the basa/wood , like , removeing the covering and I sand down inside the canopy , so that , I know it is well bonded . Never hand any trouble at all . But like I said , I use it spareingly and double check for anything that might show .

There is always the canopy glue from Great Planes , but I,ve bought it , and didn,t llike it

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Kevin C

Thanks guys.

I suppose if I could describe perfection it would be a perfect fillet of adhesive, with equal cross-section and form all around the canopy, like a fillet weld on steel.
Perhaps under the plastic but not squeezed out into the cockpit sides.
I think it all depends on the prep of the canopy also, if the foot of the plastic is cut away to form a perpendicular type joint, then a fillet of adhesive would be easy to control and apply. With a foot or flange remaining on the plastic canopy , then the adhesive is uncontrollable when installed. For me it squeezes under the flange and into the cockpit, just looks messy on an otherwise perfect construction.

My next canopy will have lots of attention, I will put every effort into making it look good.

Barnroof is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1

How about an adhesive transfer tape like 3M 467MP?

It works like double-sided tape without the foam layer, and it's clear like silicone adhesives.

We used to use it at my old work to bond plastic to metal and it was pretty strong stuff.

Thinking you could lay it along the edge of your canopy in a thin strip as desired and then trim the excess off for a really neat job.

Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

This is what I use Formula 560 dries clear and sticks real good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	formula%20560%20canopy%20glue.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	63004  
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:44 AM   #7
Don M.

about 15 years ago I tried CA ( both med & thin ) on an old canopy. It worked so well I've never used anything but since. It's easy, invisible, instant, never lets go, sticks to any surface, always somewhere close by and contary to popular belief I've never drilled a hole in a canopy nor clouded one up. To me it's a no brainer.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
I am: Cedric V.

There is a product for this job like RC56 and the others, available from our local Ontario Adhesives that, even if nearly as good as Super-Phatic, should work fine - ask him. I can't remember the name off-hand.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 14

I use goop ,works great, can get it anywere .to install I put a tape line around the edge of the canopy when in place on the fuse ,then remove the canopy and put a bead of goop just inside the tape line ,then put the canopy in place ,any excess glue will go on the tape .wait till dry score any gule with knife and remove the tape ,clean job every time.Roger

Last edited by RAMJET; 11-14-2009 at 10:38 AM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan P

Formula 560, RC56 both work well. These are nothing more than Alephatic resin packaged for hobby use. The common store name for this stuff is Weldbond. Its virtually the same formula. Contary to pupular belief, wood glues are not Alephatic resin but PVA or Poly Vinyl Acetate. Alephatic resin bonds better to plastic. If you must, use silcone. Dont use polyurehane under any circumstance. It has its uses for model airplanes, but not for canopies. For one, it doesnt dry clear, rather it has a dark amber tone, and secondly, if you have enough moisture in the air, it will turn into a foamy mess.

The trick with all these is getting the job neat. The dedicated canopy glues have a small enough tip to do a good job. Weldbond and silicone however do not.

Here's an idiot proof method. Use painters tape to outline the glue line. Leave a channel the width of what you want your finished glue line to be.

If using silocone, apply the bead, lick the tip of your finger and run it along the bead, then remove the tape immediaetly.

If using weldbond, apply the bead, wait just until it starts to skin, then remove your tape.

In either case, dont let the product dry, or it will probably come off as you remove the tape.

Hope this helps.
Dan "Buzz" Paluzzi
MAAC# 38730
Secretary/Treasurer Humber Valley RC Flyers
MAAC R/C Scale Combat Committee
Buzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.