Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Don W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 43

Total Props: 1
OS 61 FS leaking

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have an older OS 61 fs it leaks fuel/oil between the head and the main case and only in one spot. Have tried two of the alum seals, no seals, one seal, over tighting the head screws.( so much that the heads stripped when I tryed to remove them, so I had to drill the heads off)
still leaks. the head doesn't seem to warped. I can not see any cracks with a glass
Don't know what else to try, looking for help
Tinman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Harold D
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 0
Re: OS 61 FS leaking

Hi, I had a problelm with an OS 40, what I did was to use a little valve lapping compound, and rotated the head on the cylinder, back and forth, remember to pick the head up and move to a different spot, and start again, then remove the head and check to see if there is any spots that are uneven.....this should show you where the high and low spots are, keep this up till the area is all the same color.

Happy wife, happy life
sugarpops is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Distortion of the head itself is probably causing the leak and improper tightening of the head screws is usually the cause. The head can be fixed but the easiest way by far is buy a new head. Take a straight edge and hold it across one of the bolt holes one at a time, or even two at a time. If you can see a gap anywhere the head is distorted. I can be fixed but it is very labour intensive. Get a piece of ordinary flat glass, some 320 wet or dry sandpaper and some oil. Put the paper on the glass ( rough side up) squirt some oil on it, put the cylinder upside down, mating surface down on the oiled sandpaper. Hold the paper firmly and with light pressure move the cylinder around in circles on the sandpaper. Every few strokes turn the cylinder 20 deg. or so. Make sure that the cylinder does not tip and the paper does nor crease. After ten or fifteen circles a clear pattern will emerge on the top of the cylinder. Wipe the top clean and repeat until the new pattern covers all of the top of the cylinder. If you grab the cylinder really close to the paper it will have less tendency to tip. This will straighten the top of the cylinder. When you install the head put your thumb in the middle of the head and press down firmly. Tighten the screws lightly. Maintain the pressure with the thumb. Tighten one screw snugly, tighten the opposite screw an equal amount. Go to the screw that is furthest away from the one you just tightened, Probably next to #1 and tighten the same amount still maintaining the thumb pressure. Now go to the opposite screw and tighten, maintaining the thumb pressure. Now go to the last screw that is on the opposite side of the head and tighten it maintaining the thumb pressure. Then go to the last screw that should be opposite and tighten it. Remember this is a light tighten. Now you can remove the thumb pressure. Now go around the screws in the same order and tighten some more. After a couple of times around the screws will cease to turn and you will risk stripping the head or the allen key. A machinist could fix the head for you and you could lap the head to the cylinder using valve grinding compound. Thats the labour intensive part.

kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Don W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 43

Thanks guys, will check it out with some grinding compound. it doesn't sound good, to bad, it is a nice running engine (other than the leaking) anyone have a parts engine or just the head/with the screws??
Tinman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #5

Would some of that famous "red sealant" (high temp) work?

Going along with the grinding compound idea, there's a way I use to ensure a tight fit with a computer CPU and the associated heat sink

Can provide more details if needed but basically you use wet/dry sandpaper and dish washing liquid and sand the surface.

Paper I use for computer parts:

o 400 Grit Super Fine Wet/Dry
o 600 Grit Ultra Fine Wet/Dry
o 800 Grit Ultra Fine Wet/Dry
o 1000 Grit Ultra Fine Wet/Dry
o 1500 Grit Mirror Fine Wet/Dry
o 2000 Grit Mirror Fine Wet/Dry

and the liquid and a smooth (like a sheet of glass/mirror would do) surface.
Now for this, you wouldn't have to go to the finest grit.

If this sounds more to your liking, post and I'll continue. It's a bit more detailed than what I've posted.

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 12-11-2009 at 07:53 AM.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.