Batteries - 35% - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 12
Re: Batteries - 35%

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been using a123 & powersafe recievers for 3 years now with no problems ,good to see it realy taking off now .like the 2.4 change over from 72 ,it's just the next step .be sure to use a good ballance charger with a123 and they will last for ever.with all 79xx series servos you could use straight lipo(no regulator) for a slight weight savings.Roger
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: marc.c
Radio of choice:
hitec a9,jr 9303
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0

i,m currently using 2300mah 123,s on two of my 33% airplanes unregulated and no issues and don,t have to use regs.on my 35% yak i,m using 2600 mah relions through a power box and when i replace the reloins it,s gonna be 123,s for sure.i,m using 4.8 2500 mah nimh batteries for ignition.

life begins under 10ft and ends at ground zero.
fly it like you hate it.
troy built sponsored pilot.
cambrain rc flyers
3dflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 7

Craig - as Roger and Marc have said here it is hard to find fault with A123's. I really like the convenience of them and safety of them compared with Lipo's. Fly today, charge tonight, they are ready to go if you fly again tomorrow or two weeks from now. And for a full set of high torque digital servos like Hitec 59xx or 79xx I never worry about having enough juice.

I have to admit that I did not balance charge them last year but after I had one ignition pack go bad on me (deadstick landing, plane was fine, one cell went bad) I decided to put balance leads on my packs and got a charger that will balance charge them. I don't actually plan to balance charge them every time as I have the Fromeco Ion cube charger and it works well but does not balance charge. I think Lee has the Ion cube also.

Reading a lot of Dick Hanson's comments on Flying Giants re A123's in the batteries forum I am convinced they are a good safe way to go and he advocates balance charging on a regular basis.

One practical tip if you are going to use A123's, is when you set up your servo throws the first time, make sure to use a regular NiCd or NiMH pack for power as you sure don't want the servos to get to the end of their throws and stall with all that juice being pumped out of A123's, you might see smoke or burn out the servos. Once the throws are set below maximum to avoid stalling, then plug in your A123's and away you go.

Bill Teeter
MAAC 5831 IMAC 3526
Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Murphy's Law #4 - If you fool around with a thing long enough it will break.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Thumbs up Re: Batteries - 35%

A123s ALL the way, don't fool with anything else for all the reasons mentioned above. I do not ballance charge on 2 cells and have packs that are two seasons old with no problems.

I am using the Thunder Power 1010c charger and can pump 8A to charge. Like Bill said I do 4 - 5 flights on my 8 servo Carden 32.5% yak and then charge and wait for the next good flying day. I only use 2 x 2300 mAh packs. I tap of one for ignition and I do put a 5.2v Reg on that just to be safe and it weighs very little.

I am using genuine Racing A123 cells that BBT soldered up packs with. 14ga wire with deans and then 22ga tp-off with JR for ignition.

I flew well into November this season and did not nottice any adverse effects due to colder weather.

For my 40% Extra my servo count will only be two more at 11 so I will stick with the 2 x 2300 mAh packs and just charge after 3 flights to be safe. I also run a Dcup in my systems for extra safety with 2.4. I will be running the new Smart-Fly 12ch Power Expander Plus as it can now handle up to a 2s Lipo so with the A123 i can get initial burst of power, 7.2v, to my HS7955TG servos and still only get 5.0v regulated power to my R921 Rx. This way I can run my three rudder servos off of the bus of the Power Expander and only use one Ch.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1

This set-up was run for 2 full seasons.
A123 2300X2 With balance leads (I balance with my AF blinky)
Kodiak switches Y into a total of 4 out puts to power a 6014 FF receiver.
1 2600 liion for ignition with smartfly ign reg.
Fromeco cube to charge all packs at one time.
I have flown 9 flights before recharging.
Yes it is over kill but I like the redundancy and comfort that I have power to keep me flying all day long.
I have since out fitted my 50cc plane with 3 1200mh packs that fromeco sells and have saved 10oz over my previous set-up.
Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2

I agree with everyone regarding the use of A123's for the big birds. I use the duralite ones, they are now available with external balance tabs as opposed to internal.

I've previously run li-ion for years but, am in progress of switching everything over to A123 as need be.

The advantages of the a123 over the li-ions are: no regs. longer life, more cycles, lower cost, more current, safe charging.

The disadvantages are: they are heavier than like mah size li-ions and you can't load test them to check capacity so, you need to monitor capacity in/out when charging and flying.

Phantoms Phorever
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #17
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

Myself i prefer nicads over nimh .They are easier to work with not so fussy.I like the idea of cycling batteries.I have many more nicads than nimh.I have some nicads that are 15 yrs old in some of my smaller plane applications and are still showing 85%.If you maintain them its interesting to see how good they hold up.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc B

For anyone running a Zeus or similar product, how has your experience been with this so far?

I've read equally good and bad reviews on this unit, and I have to re-enforce the BAD reviews. I'm always skeptical of other people's reviews, since there are some many people out there who just don't know how to setup or use some products, but I could not get this thing to stop burbling at full throttle. Changed location, Trav. Adj, subtrims, assigned to new channels, switches, no avail.

Pulled out the Zeus, went back to 4 cell Nimh and a HD switch, (changed nothing else), and smooth power curve!

NOTE: there are two other units at our field running well, but only after some tweaking. (These were the same guys brainstorming with me to get my Zeus running well!)
BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #19
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2

I'm running A123's on my 50CC and 100CC planes... in both planes i'm running nimh's for the ignition but after reading through this thread i just ordered a couple more 2300 size packs for the ignition!! So easy and with an Accucel 6 charger from Hobbycity (dirt cheap great charger) it is the perfect setup!!

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Tim

Bill where do you get your 123's from. l am having a heck of a time getting the proper batteries for my plane, got some fromeco's for it, seem to work quite well but the plane isnt in the air yet and one battery for the ignition all ready bit the bullet, wont even charge anymore so after reading a ton about it all the 123's seem to be the way to go, or those new lifeforce ones that are 6.6 volt.
MAAC #78195
Hespeler Model Aviators, Stratford Model Club, Woodstock Radio Control flying club.
33% Aeroworks Yak,F22 Raptor, Sundowner 50, Great Planes Reactor, Cessna Trainer Jr 9303 2.4.

Is That Really Suppose To Look That Way!!!!!
whatuwant is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.