Detailing a DeHavilland Beaver - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #31
Caygeon Flyer
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Peter C

Total Props: 0
Re: Detailing a DeHavilland Beaver

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytwice View Post
Hello Caygeon Flyer: Amazing detail here.

Back in Nov, when I was putting my Turbo Beaver together, I struggled for weeks to try to find the pieces for lighting.
It never occurred to me to make my own. Eventually came up with covers that look OK, but nothing like your detailed work.
I just came home from Canadian Tire. I was amazed in the automotive lighting section at how many LED lighting systems there are. Lots of potential for LED's and landing lights.

CF

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #32
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3

Hello Cageon Flyer: Iwent to our CTC back then, remembered them having lots of led. They had NONE!!
Even asked if they had been moved, nobody seem to know, wonderful place, haven't been back since. ???????

Got the fiberglassing done on 6 ft Turbo Beaver, pick up some body putty tomorrow to do finishing.
Is there an easy way to get all the foam out of the inside of cowl? Used polyester resins. Thanks for keeping your pages going,CF.
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #33
Caygeon Flyer
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I have not worked much with foam, but I understand that gasoline and /or/ acetone will dissolve the foam quickly. Sounds like an outdoor job!!

CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytwice View Post
Hello Cageon Flyer: Iwent to our CTC back then, remembered them having lots of led. They had NONE!!
Even asked if they had been moved, nobody seem to know, wonderful place, haven't been back since. ???????

Got the fiberglassing done on 6 ft Turbo Beaver, pick up some body putty tomorrow to do finishing.
Is there an easy way to get all the foam out of the inside of cowl? Used polyester resins. Thanks for keeping your pages going,CF.

Last edited by Caygeon Flyer; 01-10-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Caygeon Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #34
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hello Cageon Flyer: Thanks for returning a post!
I have succeeded in removing the foam, by breaking out 90% thru holes. I then used laquer thinners to remove what I couldn't break out.
Works very well, definitely an outdoor job!!
Now learning the use of spot putty, seems to be going OK, filling in flaws takes time, but looking pretty smooth now! I'll have to take some pic's, quite a process!!
I envy builders like you with all the knowledge it takes to build at the levels you do CF.
If you don't try, you can't succeed, right! flytwice
Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #35
bear57
RCC Contributor

I am: Lorne B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 12

Smile Re: Detailing a DeHavilland Beaver

Is there an easy way to get all the foam out of the inside of cowl? Used polyester resins. Thanks for keeping your pages going,CF.[/QUOTE]

Flytwice:-
I think you may have used epoxy resin on the foam if you used the regular building yard stuff. Polyester will attack this foam, no need to worry about getting the fioam out, there wouldn't be any left LOL. Don't ask me how I know. Polyester can however be used with polyurathane foam. This is a little harder to get and a little pricier, but is beautifull to work with and shape.
Enjoying this thread. Good stuff!
bear57 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #36
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hi Bear57: I may be confused about the resin types, whatever we used did not attack the foam.
I removed as much as I could by hand with knives, scerwdrivers etc, then used laquer thinners to desolve the little left in corners.
Have now applied bondo putty 3 times to get outside smooth, just about there, maybe once more, than 400 grit sanding before primer.

Quite a process to modify an existing kit to something else, redraw the prints, redesign the battery opening, extend the firewall etc.
I has been and is both interesting and challenging build, no real hangups, but having to work out a couple of small issues as they come up.
The plane is actually starting to look like a Turbo Beaver now, the cowl/tail is what makes the design work. I'll get a couple of pic's up asap.
Thanks for the input, Bear 57, it cool to be able to reach out thru RC Canada and talk to others with "Beaver fever". flytwice
Old 01-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #37
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1

Fabulous work....I volunteer at the Canadian Air and Space Museum in the Old DHC building at Downsview. We have a Beaver on display over the winter. I think it was arranged because an owner needed winter hanger space. Anyway I'm sure glad to have one there since that is where the Beaver was born. I have been told the large cargo door was made wide enough to allow a 45 gallon drum to be rolled in. Makes sense since just about any type of cargo has been carried in a beaver. From 1947 until present day one of the best designed planes of its' type. It looks to me like your fine skills will make a scale model worthy of the original. Great stuff....
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #38
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hi Bob: I totally agree! We need to see that CF keeps on posting his build,absolutely incredible detailing.
I can only imagine the hours it requires to build to Cageon Flyers levels. I learn something from every post!!!

I have been working on my not so scale 6 ft Turbo Beaver today, cowl is ready for primer, fuselage sheeted. Doing final sanding and filling. Have to complete the landing gear.
Then on to the main wing.

CAGEON FLYER: Could we please see your progress on your build??
We amatuers (me) need to be inspired!! flytwice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100027.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	67201  

Last edited by flytwice; 01-11-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #39
Caygeon Flyer
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Re: Detailing a DeHavilland Beaver - Flight Manual

You can download a DHC-2 Beaver Flight Manual from

http://avialogs.com/POH/De%20Havilla...Beaver-POH.pdf
Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #40
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hello Cageon Flyer: The Owen Sound Barnstormers would like to invite you to our annual Fun Fly, this year to be held on June 12/10. 9 to 4.
I am having the Maac site updated with maps and Gps co-ordinates. There is local overnite camping if required.
Please feel free to join us, your talents and skills will be greatly appreciated.
Send me your email address if you require any further info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.