Alternative to Monokote?? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Marc A.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 6
Re: Alternative to Monokote??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK..Next questions...

a. Where can I get that 3/4 oe 1/2 oz. glass cloth?
b. what kind of resin is used?
c. Am I or my Chihauhau going to get stoned by doin this in the basement?
Marc A.

MAAC #81823... Valley Model Aeronautics Club.
marco2236 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
E Smith
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Well stocked hobby stores usually carry packets of this cloth. I think Sig packages them. If not then a composite supply house will have it. Aerospace composites, Aircraft Spruce and specialty, CST and in Canada, Composites Canada. Thay all have websites.

Use only epoxy resin. Do not use polyester. Polyester is very dangerous and you, your Chihauhau and the rest of your family will get stoned.

If you use West Systems epoxy get the slow hardener. It will allow a longer working time than the fast hardener. Unfortunately this type of work does not lend itself to one time uses. A lot of material gets left over and wasted. I could suggest a number of excellent products but they are not available in small quantites. For example, the epoxy I use is about $170.00/Gallon. I use a lot of it. It is actually the cheapesty way to buy it. If you have a use for it.

Ed S
R/C Pylon Racing. When Sex, Drugs and Booze just does not do it!
E Smith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by marco2236 View Post
OK..Next questions...

a. Where can I get that 3/4 oe 1/2 oz. glass cloth?
b. what kind of resin is used?
c. Am I or my Chihauhau going to get stoned by doin this in the basement?
a. Thunderbolt RC, supoporter of this site, has the cloth and smaller sizes of epoxy. Great Hobbies, another supporter, has the pacer Z-poxy finishing epoxy at $19, more than enough to do 1 model and it works well.
b. As mentioned above use only epoxy "finishing" type resin.
c. Not unless you want to...
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
RCC Contributor

I bought my cloth from thunderbolt RC and the epoxy resin (part# 105) and slow hardener (part #206) I bought from a boat supply store. If you go to west system web site they have a store locater that will tell you the store closest to you. If you do go to the West system they have a pump system that you can buy that goes right on the cans, then just one press of the pump for both resin and hardener and it does not fill up a 3 oz water cup. Thats what I use for mine.
In the Hanger:
H9 P51
CG Tiger 60, Saito 80
CG Eagle 2, Saito 52
GP Extra 300s, magnum 91

On the Build Table:
TF GE Corsair

Member of the BVRC
MAAC#78181, Zone C

Keep those Darksuckers empty, so it easier to see.
1_AIR_WOLF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #15
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

I believe Lee Valley carries West Systems epoxy stuff and as mentioned, Thunderbolt has nice cloth; many LHS stock packs of F/G cloth 5/8oz or 3/4oz FWIW. Koverall works nicely with water-based urethane, I'm told. Nice non-toxic alternate for modest size projects.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Heres a cheeper alternative for Finishing Poxy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BSI-209.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	66981  

Last edited by PurgatorY; 01-08-2010 at 01:40 PM.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan P

There is no susbtitute for west epoxy, or any other brand of expoxy meant for glass work which has a ~60minute working time and ~24hr cure rate, and typically mixes 5:1.

These 20min potions are cheap adhesives meant for light structural work and are not intended for laying up glass.

The west system is your best option available at Lee Valley:,110,42965
1 kit will last a long time, and it comes with the metering pumps for easy dispensing. If you keep it around for more than a year, the resin may caoggulate. Just put it in a warm water bath and you're good to go.

It has a lot of other uses too. You can add fillers such s cabosil/colloidal silica or fibreglass strands to make it a structural adhesive, or you can add fillers such as microballons/talcum to lighten it up as a sandable fairing compound. It is the flagship system in modern boatbuilding.

As far as the glass cloth goes, check out a local boatbuildng supplier or you will pay a hefty premium at your LHS.

SIG Koverall is also an excellent alternative and lighter than epoxy/glass. Can be applied as stated above with waterbourne polyurethane. Stick it on with balsaright, shrink it, and paint away, or use dope to stick it on and seal it. It's old school, but it's cheap, effective, and many builders still swear by it.

pipercub55 has some at a good deal:
and he's only a couple hundred miles away from you.
Dan "Buzz" Paluzzi
MAAC# 38730
Secretary/Treasurer Humber Valley RC Flyers
MAAC R/C Scale Combat Committee

Last edited by Buzz; 01-08-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Buzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.