Tx battery packs - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Re: Tx battery packs

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
For what its worth,
I bought a bunch of NIMH packs from e-bay. Battery Island or something like that. they are 2100mah 9.6v packs, came with futaba/hitec ends. I do not have any sort of equipment to test them, but I charge them with the wall wart for a few days and they last a very long time.
I have been using these packs for both rx and tx, some of them are a few years old now. A package of 4 packs was something like $50 if I remember right.
For my Futaba 7c:
I bought some cheap NiMH thru ebay, they leak.
I replaced them with LiPo from HobbyCity.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #22
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

Using a lipo from HK too, for about a yr. now. I bought a 3 amp diode from the former Radio Shack/ The Source. Cut the red wire going into the trans to install. Comes with connectors for JR, Fut. and a balance connector for the charger. Never shows over 12 volts after a charge. I fly quite a bit in the summer, being a retired old phart, and charge about every two weeks.. I have killed it dead a couple of times doing bench work and forgetting to turn it off. Put on nimh batt charge to get it over 3 volts per cell, then on lipo charge. Comes right back up to full charge.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #23
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

Found Enerloop NiMH packs custom made on the site of
with very nice looking welded straps and custom made into any shape or form. A 2x2x2 pack would cost $44:95 - I assume that's US$. Not too bad - I'm considering getting at least one pack for now. In the pix the welds look fine and certainly good for the 200mA that the average Tx draws.
No dangers and no risk of harming your Tx and probably without screwing up the warranty.
The Huperion LiFE Tx packs are also available from
www.allerc.com/ etc...
but I made no note of the cost. Also relatively safe and apparently have a charge control module built in - nice.
A lot of Txs now have fuses inside, usually 2 or 3 Amp so if you try and fast charge, that will blow! They claim that the LiFEPO4 Hyperions can be charged as fast as 15 minutes but why the hell one would do that is beyond me, I'm afraid!
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
A lot of Txs now have fuses inside, usually 2 or 3 Amp so if you try and fast charge, that will blow! They claim that the LiFEPO4 Hyperions can be charged as fast as 15 minutes but why the hell one would do that is beyond me, I'm afraid!
You can charge most JR/Spektrum radios at up to 1A through the charge port, radios have had fuses for as long as I can remember!

A full charge at 4.8A (max charge rate) will take about 30 minutes, not 15. It is useful if you get caught at the field with a low TX battery. Because of the flat discharge curve of the LifePo4, it is difficult to correlate pack voltage to state of charge. You could just plug it in overnight once a week with the stock Nimh charger, but it's nice to know that if you get caught with a low batt, you can get it up to full charge quickly.

You can charge using the red plug at up to 4.8A (2.3C). No balancer required as the internal chip does that automatically, but you can still use one if you wish. This would take about 30 minutes on most chargers.

Cost is about USD 50 shipped from Aircraft World in Japan. This should give you about 10hrs of flight time between charges, and it won't be affected by time spent in storage nor does the chemistry degrade if stored fully charged (unlike Lipos which need to be charge below 4V).

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem starts looking like nail!

Last edited by marcham; 01-18-2010 at 08:21 PM.
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #25
RCC Apprentice
I am: Terry R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0

I know this is old but I also knew I had contributed some thoughts here. (Post 7) I now have some more to add! I bought a TX 3's 2500 Lipo from HeadsUp RC. Last night I charged the pack up and put it in my old Hitec Lazer 4. Nothing happened, it didn't turn on. I put my nicad pack in and heard a "Neee" sound. I believe it was my radio saying good bye!!
It was an older, but simple radio, and great for my three Easystars. I'm just greatful it didn't go in my Hitec Eclipse 7. Why a company would sell something like that, without warning, I don't understand!
So, for those of you considering 3's in your Hitec radio, at least, pay attention to those that have posted here, and else where, about the danger. I don't know why I was able to get away with the 3s in my Eclipse, that now has NiMh, and I'm not going to see if I can get away with it again. Want to buy a TX 3's Lipo!!??
KaptainKrunch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #26
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

I use 3s LiPo's in both my Futaba 9Z's and have used them in my 8U and 9C in the past with absolutely no problems. The replacement NiCd 9Z pack is horrendously priced and I hear the JR 10X is the same. I had thought of going with NiMh which is another good option but I found them harder to get and more expensive as custom made packs.

Before putting LiPos in my 9Z however I got spooked by some posts about fried RF modules, overdischarging LiPos, etc so I used a pair of diodes in series to cut the voltage seen by the Tx slightly. Now I get the low voltage alarm before overdischarging the LiPo and my Tx rarely sees anything much over 10volts and a reasonably accurate voltage reading on my display; just like the original NiCd pack.

Yes, you must remove the LiPo to charge it, but that doesn't happen very often

The only thing that gave me nightmares on the 8U and 9C was accidently leaving the Tx on overnight. The 9Z shuts itself off after a set amount of time. You might be able to set that on a 9303 too...........
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate

Last edited by wymbly1971; 07-18-2011 at 10:00 AM.
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.