glue question - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
Tom Molloy
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Re: glue question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I used to think that since I am a chemist I knew it all, and none of these solvents would harm me.

A couple of years ago I was building a "plug" for a sailboat hull which required joining .25 inch balsa strips together, a couple of hundred or so. I was using thin ca as recommended and ended up in the emergency with severe respiratory difficulty. When I sat severe I mean severe...I couldn't walk more than 20 feet at a time. I was diagnosed with pneumonia but I am convinced that breathing the ca fumes exacerbated the condition by reacting with my lungs much the same way your skin reacts when you accidentally get some on your finger. Anyway I think the advice given above is valid. Use a fan, plenty of ventilation, use a mask, we can't afford to take chances with our health. I know I've become a bit paranoid and that with proper care we can use any glue. MSDS sheets do tend to mention every possible problem that might exist but nonetheless if you can smell it, it is probably getting into your lungs. Use that as your safety valve. Watch out for flammability.

Don't get paranoid like me but don't take chances either...we'd all like to be still gluing at 75.

Tom Molloy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

you gave good answers tom.You can never be too safe.My sentiments exactly.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
Caygeon Flyer
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Peter C

Total Props: 0

I have a friend who developed a similar response to CA as Toms, but not quite as severe. It usu sally set in about 1 to 2 hours later. He and I have both since been using respirator masks with s"solvent cannisters when doing any gluing with CA, or any work with strong solvent paints. You can get the disposable versions for not many $$ at most industrial safety supply houses, and also form some Internet stores - such as Lee Valley.

I keep mine in a plastic bag between uses and it lasts a long time !

Kawartha Lakes RC Flyers
Caygeon Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by rusty33 View Post
Not really a RC question per se, but still relevant.

My sons have very recently rediscovered (that word will seem funny in a moment) building plastic kits. This has actually taken significant time away from their Xbox activity so as a responsible parent, I am trying to decide how to deal with this! (tongue firmly in cheek) They are 14 and 9 (so, 'rediscovered' seem funny now?). I have been using something called Proweld, but it contains a chemical called Methylene chloride. This is pretty nasty stuff, and not just for it's odor. MSDS suggests a potential link to cancer. I remember using buckets of testors glue when I was a kid and I don't think I suffered too much Proweld is not an adhesive, but rather acts by melting the two pieces of styrene together. I have given both lads the old 'safety first' lecture and there is pretty decent airflow in the work area. They are currently using testors. I'm a bit sensitive to the potential of cancer right now, particularly with the young one, but not as result of this glue topic so...

On to the question.

What glues do you use for plastics and what precautions are you taking? Have any of you tired the so-called 'non-toxic' glue products?

I don't want or need this to turn into a lecture...just curious what you use.
Methylene Chloride is the active chemical in paint stripper. I buy it buy the 20 litre pail (my business is woodworking and included furniture repair and restoration). It is pretty nasty stuff! Melts plastic well though... but I would go with the Tamiya product as well.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.