Walkera 60B: My heli story. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Steve J

Total Props: 0
Cool Walkera 60B: My heli story.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey, so i am pretty bored today so thought id share my story and some photos/vid of my first 6 channel 3D capable helicopter.

The Heli:
- Walkera HM 60B "Special edition" with metal head/tail rotor setup. bought from http://www.helipal.com/walkera-hm-60...d-edition.html

Radio: WK-2801 Pro 2.4Ghz 8Ch Transmitter
Receiver: RX-2801 Pro 2.4Ghz 8Ch

Changes made so far:
- Replaced cheap stock canopy with trex 450 fiberglass carbon look canopy. Came way to big and had to do some trimming to get it to fit nicely.
- Took off stock 290mm carbon fiber prison strip blades and replaced with 290mm cheap wood blades for learning to fly.
- Changed stock landing gear for chrome trex 450 skids. ( just to add a bit of bling )
- Added KDS flymentor but opted to use external stock wk-g011 gyro as i was having tail stability issues using flymentor gyro.
- Replaced stock tail servo with Eflight Blade 400 EFLRDS75H digital tail servo.
- Changed battery leads to standard dean leads.
- Prefer not to use stock 11.1V 1500mAh 20C Li-Po Battery instead bought Zippy Flightmax 11.1V 2200mAh 20C 3S batteries from hobbyking.
- Bought one of those Ebay specials, the Key chain spy camera, so hopefully will have some FPV videos soon.

How does it fly??:

Im not sure.. lol!! As i said earlier this is my first 6 channel heli jumping right from little 4 channel helis such as Blade MSR and MCX. I dont really have any experience to compare it to anything else so all comment and thoughts are strictly a first opinion.
Besides that i find the heli kinda skittish in winds but manageable to learn on in the right conditions. I have installed Flymentor but that is a whole differant ball game of problem solving to work out and perhaps i shoulda got some more experience flying with this heli before i took that step but to late now. Overall i am beginning to really enjoy my heli and i can see myself growing with this hobby for many years to come. Even if i havent flown that much yet (maybe have 5-6 short hovers) i am really starting to enjoy the engineering, manufactoring, and problem solving that comes with this hobby. So i guess if the 60B hasnt scared me away from heli it safe to give it a BIG thumbs up.

I may not be the most knowledgeable member here but i am learning very fast about all aspects of helicopter flying/setup so id be more then happy to help anyone who has any question the best i can.

Here are a few pics and a short video of my first succesful hover with my first heli, the Walkera 60B WITH flymentor installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sorry for vid quality, was taken with cell phone camera
kashalp is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Walkera 60B: My heli story.

Congrats on your successful progression in the heli side of this hobby. Flying helis is not for everyone, but if its your cup of tea, it can really grow on you.

Never seen or heard of that particular model of helicopter, so I cant comment if thats better or worse than some of the more poular models that I have had the opportunity to fly.

I will have to add that some of the lesser known models are quite a handfull to fly. I had several students show up with no success on some of these types. Once that heli bit the dust and they bit the bullet to buy a more popular heli, the first thing they comment on is how much smoother thier second heli is.

Judging from the video, your little bird seems to be flying well- In that case- keep at it.. It wont be long before you get another one...LOL (not from crashing, but it seems most heli fliers I know NEVER have just one heli in thier stable
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Right on!

I remember getting all excited and flying till my fingers almost froze, good times

the heli looks nice and stable good job.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Joel D

Total Props: 7

I can see that training gear coming off soon. Nice maiden flight! Just keep on flying!
4wdmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
RCC Noob
I am: Steve J

Total Props: 0

thanks guys. lol and yes Max another one will be along shortly. I have my eye on this VERY nice 500 sized SJM a friend may be selling. Either that or id like to build one of mine own from scratch. Probably a HK500 clone..

4wdmt: lol hopefully the training gear does stay on forever but dont see it coming off "soon". lol However after a few more successful flights i may begin to shorten the size of the legs inch by inch until im fully confident that they are not needed anymore.

Any who thanks again for comments and support. Hoping to at least graduate from beginner to novice pilot by summer time.
kashalp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

Nice stable flying. I agree with 4wdmt, the training gear could come off soon. You'll find that the helicopter will fly slightly differently with the training gear off. However, take your time, you'll know when you are ready to move on...

Part of the fun is building a model from a kit, this way, you'll have an understanding of how the model fits together and will aid when a part needs to be replaced.

Keep it up and have fun...

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance... www.ballroomdancelessons.ca
All for One, One for All... www.scarboroughfencing.on.ca

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Joel D

Total Props: 7

Now that you got first hand experience of how a 450 sized CP flies, try it without the flymentor assisting your hover...but leave the training gear on. If you fly without any harsh ground hop, then you probably know how much capable you are for any next step in flying (a little side to side orientation perhaps).

Take it slow and do whatever that is within your capabilities. Most of my crashes is going beyond what I am capable of doing, that and some dumb thumbs too.
4wdmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.