Turnigy Batteries - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Re: Turnigy Batteries

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just finished testing 8 of their low self discharge AA 2200mah Nimhs. All tested above the rated capacity (2262 to 2292 mah). The major difference between their and the Eneloops is that the Eneloops hold about 0.1V higher under load. 6 month and 12 month self discharge tests are pending.

I don't think they are selling the 2300mah cells anymore. (but they have great prices on JR 8 cell and 4 cell Nimh packs).

As for lipos, you get a bad one every now and then and often it's not worth the shipping to return it. So if you need 2, may as well buy 3.

Having tried several Turnigy, FlightMax and Rhinos for my indoor flyer (350 to 650 mah 3 cell), I ended up buying 2x TP 325 mah 3s 45C. The TPs are lighther, have lower IR, in some cases longer flight time and deliver more RPM than any of the HobbyKing Lipos I tested, even better than the 650 mah packs! Not to mention 5C charging in about 15-17 minutes.

So for 95% of the flyers and applications, the HobbyKing lipos are adequate. If you are after the ultimate power density then you need to look elsewhere.

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem starts looking like nail!

Last edited by marcham; 01-28-2010 at 08:44 AM.
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Quote Marcham: "..I don't think they are selling the 2300mah cells anymore. "

Sorry, I don't mean to be contradictory my friend, but my order from Hobby King just came in yesterday, (Ordered last week) which contained 30 of the 2300 mAH NiMH AA cells. But I guess it could have been a very receint development that they've discontinued them! I can't find them on the website today! Hmmm.

Well, I purchased 2 of the 2.2 (2200mAH) 3S1P 25C Lipos to use with my electric jets and for the Blade 400 3D. They may be a bit heavier than the E-Flite 1800 Lipo that came with it but it will be some time before I need to worry about a few of grams extra weight & a bit extra power.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to this thread.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by Gary Maker View Post
A friend was placing an order with Hobby King so I had him order some NiMH 2300 mAH AA cells as well as two 2200 mAH 3S 25C Lipos w/balance leads.

I had difficulty fathoming the low price. Each AA cell was $0.79 and the Lipos were $14.95 each. Although the shipping seemed quite expensive at $36.00, the price of the batteries way more than made up for the shipping costs....that is, if they are decent batteries.

Eg. Sanyo cells was about $3.00 each and an E-Flite 1800 3S 18C Lipo is $62.95.

Now that being said, are these batteries a good buy or is this another one of those - "You get what you pay for" deals?

I know nothing about Turnigy batteries. How do these compair with other quality, well known, brands?

I guess I just want to make sure they are ok to use in my planes and are not going to be a lot of grief. Should I have stayed with the better known brands?

If you have used them, your experienced comments would be appreciated.
I've had very good experience with these batteries. In fact, while removing the label on the E-Flite 3200mah 3S ($100 retail) that came with my T-34 Mentor, I noticed that it, as well, is labeled Zippy which just goes to show that the "quality" batteries are often just relabeled "cheap" brands.

Even if you get 50% of the charge cycles you might with a more expensive battery, the fact that the price is 25-30% of those batteries, makes it worth it to buy these in quantity.

Chances are, every lipo we buy is manufactured in China, anyways.

Just my 2 cents
IdeaBeing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4

Originally Posted by IdeaBeing View Post
E-Flite 3200mah 3S ($100 retail)
E-Flite lipos: aka "puff monster".

Just pulled a Flightmax 6s 2600 mAh 20C out of storage, charged it up and IR is 9-12 mOhm for most cells, cell #2 is at 22mOhm. (Stored at 3.85V), that cell was also showing 3.4V, while the others were still at 3.8V.

Also a Turnigy 6s 2650 mAh 20C had a similar issue, with most cells around 11mOhm, 2 cells above 16 mOhm and having self-discharged significantly.

They each had about 10-15 flights last fall, averaging 17A with 44A momentary peaks, usually 65-75% discharged.

I still have to check the other 2 but not expecting anything better.

At 1/3 the price of a TP 20C, they just weren't worth it as they didn't last. That and the fact that I had bought 4 packs (40 x 4 + 20 shipping = USD 180), I could have bought 2x TP 20C of similar capacity for $250 shipped, and they would still be under warranty and weight significantly less. Time to toss these and buy the good stuff.

The new generation of TPs have proven to hold a usefull voltage & capacity beyond 200 flights (see testing by everydayflyer on rcgroups).

So I got $180 / 30 flights = $6 /flight, whereas with a TP I could have gotten $250 / 400 = $0.62 / flight ... so the HobbyKing lipos are 10x more expensive then premiums, at least that's how I look at it.

... My TP 45C 3s 325mah has about 60 flights on it, still pulling stronger than a Rhino 3s 650mah 20C (10 cycles), and the TPs are charged at 4C!

My understanding is that right now, there are very few Lipo factories, but they produce cells to different specifications for different manufacturers. The way TP explained it is that they can pack more energy into lighter cells due to a more complicated manufacturing process. This and the fact that their cells are matched (both for IR and capacity) during pack assembly and packs are tested to ensure that no cell damage occurred during assembly. How many reports have you seen of DOA G4 TP packs versus DOA Turnigy packs? I've only read of one case of a bad TP G4 pack on rcgroups, the pack was exchanged without a return, but look at the always increasing reports of DOA Turnigy packs with one or two low voltage cells or loose balancing wire soldering on the pack. Given the cost of return shipping, most people don't return packs to HobbyKing, so I'm sure they have a very healthy profit margin.

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem starts looking like nail!

Last edited by marcham; 02-01-2010 at 03:09 PM.
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mark
Radio of choice:

I have some 3S 2200s and love them. I bought a name brand battery in Calgary the other day...80 bucks and it has a bad cell.
mark_ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #16
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

I have put in two Hobby King battery purchases in the last few months. The first order all 6 batteries were fine...they came at proper storage voltage, and no dead cells. The second order of 4 batteries turned up my first dud; one of the cells in a 3 cell was dead.

It seems that most of the batteries are putting out there advertised c rating. But, after only 20 or so cycles i have noticed a gradual dropping off of the max charged voltage value; eg, every cycle or so the voltage goes from say 4.2 to 4.18 per cell, then a couple more charges and its 4.17 per cell etc....The batteries are still functioning well...But i have Hyperions that have more charges on them than the zippy's or flightmax's, and they still go to 4.2 per cell.....

This seems to be reinforcing Marcham's observations regarding these cheap batteries.....

I will be interesed to see how many reasonable charges i get out of these cheap batteries....i hope the voltage does not keep dropping off as quick as it is, since the price is so good. But if it does, i may revert to buying fewer more expensive batteries....depending upon application; ie high performance i will stick with my hyperions, but for general sport flying i will use my cheapos..
tugboat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.