Old School! - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #21
Dennis 9412
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Re: Old School!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by guyl View Post

I need to buy some dope and dont know where to buy some anymore???
Need one or two pint size and some smaller sizes. Can you help in giving
an address??. You did mention LHS is that local hardware store?? I doubt that very
much. They dont even know what butyrate or nitrate dope is.
I am an old modeler and like to build large size scale models. I buy ARF because they
fly well and jig built. Great to have to go and fly with while you are spending
hundred of hours building your favorite ONE OF A KIND model. They are now very
popular and soon very soon you will no longer be able to buy building supply
for your models. It will turn out like amateur radio, we use to buy all kind of
< components to build things. Now what you have are little black boxes that does
everything and no one knows what to do with it. Cheers.
Hi there Guy,

If you're looking for dope, try your local small aircraft airport.

I got a quart of dope and thinners from my local airport.

It wasn't cheap, but it was available.

Give it a try, you might be surprised at what you find.

Dennis DuBois
MAAC 9412L
IMAC 3821
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #22
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8

I'm going the way of the Dark Side, I didn't scratch build anything this year.. That's what reno-ing an kitchen will do.. So I bought a GP Curtiss P6E ARF kit (from a fellow modeller).. I have to admit, it is nice to assemble..And well built (it's not going to fall apart)..
But as far as scratch building goes, If you can get an ARF of it, why build one from scratch.. My last 2 major projects, I had to draw the plans (Husky,Bellanca).. It's nice to go flying with something unique.. Especially if your going to commit that much time to building it..Just my opinion...
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Building a model from a kit is still my preferred method. And yes, kits are getting harder to find, but to a true builder, that's not really an obsticle as long as plans & balsa are available!

I'm happy that folks who couldn't otherwise be part of the hobby can do so because of ARFs. But do yourself a great service and somehow, someway, find the time and drive to build at least one airplane from a kit. It will truly give you a perspective and appreciation you won't find assembling a 100 ARFs.

And it's truly an amazing, unforgetable feeling, like no other, taking a box of sticks, some glue and covering, building an airplane and taking her up flying for the first time!

Really, do yourself a favour and try it at least once, you won't be sorry you did!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #24
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Martin T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

I just started this hobbie last summer and bought a nextstar trainer from a local. This winter I thought I'd try my luck at building, I am a carpenter buy trade so I have a little building ability. I built a pt60 for my sister inlaw first, have copied a Stinger 10 park flier, built a Jr. Falcon, and am finishing up a Four Star Forty i bought that wasn't complete. A very kind gentleman you all probably know by the name of Bill gave me the plans, so I can finish her and put her in the air this spring. Long story short, I think I almost like the build more than flying them. Next crash isn't going to hurt so bad knowing it can always be brought back to life. I wish this awsome hobbie had come along a long time ago.

martintucker19 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #25
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

Lots of building going on over in the Giant Scale Forum!

Check it out!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #26
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Patrick Konkle

I've only been back in this hobby for a couple of years now, and I was amazed when I saw an ARF...a plane ...already built , imagine that WOW!
I own 2, an E- Flite Texan, and an E flite SE5A.
The thing is, as easy as these things are the novilty "for me" wore off real fast. I thought they'd be fun; but there was just not enough to do to put em together, so I ripped them apart and I"m rebuilding and recovering them.
I also have 10 kits, from a 65" Dynaflite SE5A to an 18" Fokker DV1.with a Camel a BE12A and a Morine Salnier A1 somewhere in between. As well as 14 plans, and they will all get built .............one day........I hope !
I'm a builder not a flyer, thats the JOY in the hobby for me. I CAN fly, I just keep hitting the ground alot.
I no longer us the dope and tissue method , the family and the fumes don't mix. I do use WorldTex and the likes, self adhesive ,looks just like fabric (it is) and goes on like a dream.
Instant gratification, ease and avalibility is the force behind the ARF,hopefully it may dwindle one day.
I just hope there are enough of us oldtimers left and that we all live long enough to keep the BUILDING SPIRIT alive.

Thanks Pat

Last edited by HalfaStrut; 03-04-2010 at 09:33 PM.
HalfaStrut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #27
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

Ed you made some valid points.Couldn't agree with you more.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #28
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 8

I've been in the hobby for 25yrs, I'm in my mid thirties and still build everything mostly from plans, started out with rubber powered stuff, because my parents couldn't afford anything else, then I started cutting grass for people, and saved up to buy my first glow powered trainer kit(EAGLE 2). I like building because of the enjoyment, always learning new techniques and also it allows me to modify to my liking, airfoil tweeking and such, I have had the odd arf, but can't stand the quality issues, I'm too fussy that way.
I like to hear that there are still builders out there too, keep it up guys!
Btw I scratched 7 planes in the last year, I know it sounds rediculous, (I was laid off for a bit).
Vintage Mini owner/lover
Better To Be divided by TRUTH, Than United In Error.

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario

Last edited by smoknrv4; 03-06-2010 at 05:07 PM.
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #29
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

Scratched 7 planes in a year? Geez, you're a machine my friend I feel lucky to get one off my table in that time.

This topic has been well answered by everyone on here, so I don't have a heck of a lot to say differently.

I started with an ARF trainer and a really cheap radio as a way to get myself into the hobby. I'm a good craftsman but knew almost nothing about building a kit, setting up a radio system, engine or anything. I learned how to do these basic chores and learned a lot along the way; particularly from you guys and from other building sites on the net.

In some ways it was discouraging too. There was a lot of negative talk and more than a couple personal insults thrown about, particularly by some "brotherhood" on RC Universe about their distaste in ARFs. Indeed my signature, "Gravity Doesn't Discriminate" is a direct response to the scowls.

I learned to fly with that trainer and kept very good care of it (it's all I had to fly). So I continued to learn about upkeep, airframe and engine tweaks. I also learned about flying with a rudder, full rates, no exponential and other flying techniques because my radio simply wasn't capable of doing it for me. I built a set of floats for that trainer from plans I made myself. I cut the parts and built them. My first solo flight was on those floats! Then I built skis and did some winter flying.

I learned, learned, learned...

It didn't take me long to get the bug. The first upgrade was a computer radio (Futaba RULES BTW, LOL) and then I started dreaming of flying scale aircraft. Of course, you can't buy a Norseman in ARF form, so I built a Unionville kit. It was daring, but I learned and did it with a great deal of success (and teasing and encouragement too)....again from you guys and fellow club members....the wealth of knowledge from the "old guys" willing to take the time to teach me. I took a major leap by using Koveral and dope and now will use almost nothing but.

I learned, learned, learned...

So I got a kit under my belt and bought another ARF when the trainer finally gave up the ghost. It is a GP Cessna 182. I applied some of my kit building experience and assembled/built a BETTER ARF than the one that came in the box. It was simply not affordable to build such a common plane from scratch and kept me flying until the Norseman was done.

Now I build from scratch and from kits because I get exactly what I want and I have the skill to make it happen.

So I don't think it matters where we start, it's where we end up. I look at what I have now; solid flying capability, building capability and some really great friends on here.

Among any other wishes I hold for people, following my footsteps is one of them. Builders will be born from personal desire, mentorship, good example and encouragement from us

So to the builders out there; strut your stuff! Show that new club member an aircraft he/she has never seen before in ARF form; you might find a follower.
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #30
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Patrick Konkle

Here Here

Its not the destination, its the journey and what you do along the way

HalfaStrut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.